Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I've Been Tagged!

Ok. Deidre tagged me, and I am "it" so here you go.

1. First thing you did when you woke up today?
Made coffee. I do that every morning.

2. Last book you read for pleasure or are currently reading for pleasure?
Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund. It was an ARC. Does that count? And it was wonderful, btw.

3. Something you're excited about in your job today?
Making another sale….I know…. but I just love, love, love, doing that!

4. Something you're dreading?
A funeral tomorrow at 3pm. Please say a prayer for me.

5. The worst conversation you ever had with an editor?
It went like this:

Editor X: “Hello, this is editor X” spoken in such an upbeat tone

Me: “Hi, this is Pamela Harty from the Knight Agency. How are you?” again spoken in most upbeat fashion

Editor X: “Oh, Hi Pam.” Spoken in the most down in the dumps voice you have ever heard. Now is it me, or is that just plain rude?

It could be the editor that I called on in NYC right after I had started agenting about 5 years ago. After I gave him our project list full of potentially great projects for his list, he just looked at me and “ So, it must be nice to be here in NYC. You can shop, take in a show.”

I thought…gee …he isn’t taking me too seriously.

6. The happiest conversation you ever had with an editor?
The offer I got for Deidre when we placed her Parallel Series. I was so proud of her and it was the best editor call I ever got.

7. A habit you'd like to quit?
Hmmmmm…..there are a few. Maybe that coffee I mentioned in question 1.

8. A habit you'd like to acquire?
I would like to become addicted to running.

9. Greatest strength as an agent?
I am the bigger bitch here at the agency.

10. Greatest weakness?
I am the bigger bitch here at the agency.

11. Favorite book of the past year?
There are so many. Can I name a few client’s soon to be released books? Vertigo by Lauren Baratz-Logsted Bantam Dell 9/06, Riding With The Top Down by Debrah Williamson NAL 9/06 , and The Miseducation of April Hillson by Maureen McGowan.
I am shopping that one now. But it is good!! Shameful plug…..I know.

12. If you weren't agenting you might be
...an artist probably painting with oils and selling my paintings for loads of money.

13. You tag??
Nephele Tempest, Miss Snark


Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

Awww, thanks... Pam, on #2.

And #8? Me too, sister!

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 10:36:00 AM EST  
Blogger Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Saying a prayer for you, dear. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 12:15:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Maureen McGowan said...

Thanks Pamela!!!!

And so sorry to hear about your loss.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 12:41:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Cindy Procter-King said...

OMG, I judged THE MISEDUCATION OF APRIL HILLSON in the ChickLit Stilleto contest last year. I loved it, but it didn't final the first time. What a quirky, wonderful character Maureen wrote.

Maureen, I know we talked in email when you finaled this year, but my frazzled brain totally disconnected the manuscript title from your name until just now. I'm now doubly excited that you signed with Pamela and TKA, because you totally deserve it! Now let's see that sale!

Pamela, I'm glad Deidre tagged you. Happy to learn more about you. Yeah, I'd like to get addicted to running, too, but I've realized it ain't never gonna happen!

I'm sorry about the funeral. I've attended my share in the past year. Not fun.


Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 1:11:00 PM EST  
Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

I loved Miseducation, too. Loved it so much that I recommended it to TKA when Maureen and I were at th Chick Lit party last summer.

Then, of course, the long wait. ::vbg::

But last month it was all worth it when I was sittin at hte STAR conference and Maureen came runnign in to tell me she'd gotten the call from TKA!

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marley Gibson said...

Hugs to you, Pamela.

And fingers crossed for Maureen! I've heard Diana rave about this story and I've seen it final in the Stiletto. Here's hoping for great news soon!

Marley = )

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 2:35:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Maureen McGowan said...

Thanks Cindy, Diana and Marley!

Cindy, the other judge I got in the 2004 Stiletto thought I didn't understand what the past tense was... Needless to say, a very low score from her... LOL

But it wasn't really a book yet then... Just an idea, 3 chapters and a synopsis that didn't end up resembling the finished book at all.

Still, entering in 04 was so worth it. Your comments encouraged me to keep going and then Diana, contest coordinator that year, recommended me to TKA based on that early draft!!!

Thanks for your support and good wishes.


Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 6:40:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Cindy Procter-King said...

You're welcome, Maureen. I'm always tickled pink when someone whose work I've judged and enjoyed succeeds. You've got "voice."


Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 10:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger Anesha said...

Hi Nice Blog.We are specializes in the implementation and management of high-volume, complex projects for data conversion services india. Using XML as a document representation format is of great benefit, and applies across industries.

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 4:28:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home