Friday, April 15, 2005

April is the Coolest Month

Another busy week at The Knight Agency has drawn to a close. My husband and I have decided that we should create agency “pledge pins.” When we sign a new client, they would get a silver pin that simply says TKA. It could be like a powerful sorority, and then our clients might mention in passing, “I’m a TEEK.” Or a TKA, I suppose (although I rather liked the GREEK sound to TEEK.)

Other than spending time concocting strange ways to mark our place in the literary world, as an agency we’ve seen a number of successes this week. First of all, I am thrilled to announce that I have just closed Gena Showalter’s next deal at HQN, for two mass market paranormals and one hard cover contemporary. Here’s a bit more about her books, as published in http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/:

15 April, 2005

Fiction: Women's/Romance


Gena Showalter's THE MISADVENTURES OF WONDER GIRL, where a formula is placed in a woman's morning latte causing her to develop unexpected super powers; A WOMAN'S PLEASURE where the king of the nymphs is the most darkly seductive creature every formed, and yet one stubborn woman continues to resist him; and CATCH A MATE, where a wager between two unlikely people becomes an irresistible seduction neither can resist, again to Tracy Farrell at HQN, in a good deal, by Deidre Knight of The Knight Agency (world).Deidre.Knight@knightagency.net

And here is a more expanded version, as reported by Gena herself!

THE MISADVENTURES OF WONDER GIRL
I’m Elle Jamison, an everyday average girl trying to hold down a job -- until a scientist absconds with an experimental formula bad guys hope to use to create superagents and hides it in my morning latte. Now I can control the elements: earth, wind, fire and water. Being a superhero would be cool and all, except sexy government agent Rome Matthews has been ordered to hunt me down and kill me. He’s having a bit of trouble with his conscience, though, and struggles to do his job. I didn’t make this bed of trouble, but he sure wants me to lie in it. With him.

A WOMAN’S PLEASURE
Legends claim nymphs are female. Well, some legends are wrong. In Atlantis, home to the gods’ most dangerous creations, the Nymphs are male and they are the most darkly seductive creatures ever formed. And none are more seductive than Valerian, King of the Nymphs, a warrior who revels in his potent allure. Yet when he encounters Shaye Holling of modern day, a woman who continues to resist him, he finds himself willing to give up everything, his home, his honor, his life, for a single taste of her.

CATCH A MATE
Jillian Greene works for Catch A Mate. Sounds romantic right? Wrong. Women hire her as bait to flirt with their husbands and see whether they’ll flirt back or send her on her way. She’s never been sent on her way, and now views men, love and marriage as an institute for the insane – until cynical Marcus Brody strides into the CAM offices to act as wife-bait. . . and catches her instead.


In other big news, I signed on another new client this week—and trust me, it’s not very often that I take on two first-time authors within the span of a few days. In fact, until Monica Burns joined our roster last week, I hadn’t signed on any new clients during 2005! Our newest addition to the agency’s client roster is Diana Peterfreund, who is writing “young” chick lit. Already New York has been calling us with interest, so I expect something will happen very quickly on this deal. In fact, the series is so high-concept, I won’t be posting any details until we make a deal. But trust me, she’s created a fabulous world and concept, backed up by a fresh, unique voice! I can’t wait to share more in the coming weeks.

Pamela Harty is shopping out a new women’s fiction novel, ORPHANHOOD, by new author, Deborah Morris. The writing is lyrical and fans of Rebecca Wells’ books will probably love this material too! It’s always an exciting day for us as agents when we have the opportunity to introduce a new author—whose work we love—out into the marketplace.

I was also invited to be a guest on the Romance Writers Club e-group this week, which turned out to be a fabulous group of writers. They asked so many intelligent and thought-provoking questions about the state of the market and about publishing in general, that they certainly kept me on my toes. Look for a “round up” of those questions and answers to be posted here very soon. Thanks to Charlotte Dillon for inviting me to join in.

Oh, and the strangest rumor of the week? I heard one's going around that says I'm a minister--which warmed my heart, but is utterly untrue.

For those of you interested, please be sure to check out my personal author blog at www.deidreknight.blogspot.com.
Deidre

2 Comments:

Blogger Gena Showalter said...

Pastor Knight. I love it. Can I just say that the Knight Agency totally rocks? You guys are freakin' amazing. Good things ahead for sure. Now, I must be off to finish my This Is The Best Day In The World dance :)

Friday, April 15, 2005 at 8:27:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Kris said...

You are absolutely right. April is the coolest month. But in some place April is the hottest month. Being a superhero would be cool and all, except sexy government agent Rome Matthews has been ordered to hunt me down and kill me.

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 5:18:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home