Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I Started a Meme, and Started All the Agents Blogging...


In case you didn't catch it, the title is a reference to an old Bee Gee's song. Yep, it's true. Agent De is a not-so-closeted fan of the Brothers Gibb. I do realize some out there are going EWWWWWWW as loud as you possibly can. That's fine. Others may be adding a new item to their list of requisite agent qualities--must not like tacky 70's disco. That's fine too.

But the real point of this blog is a little fun I dreamed up last night in bed. It's time to start an Agent's MEME. You know, the whole answer various questions and tag other people blogging game (I say that in case you DON'T know.)

So here goes my invented MEME for agents. (Does one capitalize all the letters of MEME or is it meme? I can't recall...)

1. First thing you did when you woke up today?
Read my overnight e-mail on blackberry after turning it off in its alarm clock feature.

2. Last book you read for pleasure or are currently reading for pleasure?
Lisa Kleypas's DEVIL IN WINTER.

3. Something you're excited about in your job today?I have two new submissions to send out, and I'm looking forward to getting them in the right hands.

4. Something you're dreading?
Eating weight watchers for lunch, yet again.

5. The worst conversation you ever had with an editor?In 1997 when I'd taken a preempt and another editor wasn't happy and screamed at me until I had to hang up on him.

6. The happiest conversation you ever had with an editor?

There are many, many of those. I just love talking to editors, period, because they're my kind of people, and doing the deal dance is a ton of fun.

7. A habit you'd like to quit?Checking Amazon and Barnes and noble for rankings so often. That, and too many 16 ounce diet cokes being consumed each day.

8. A habit you'd like to acquire?
Reading faster.

9. Greatest strength as an agent?Persistence and determination (that's two, but they're related)

10. Greatest weakness?
Reading too slowly--not as in getting to submissions, but as in literally being a slow reader, one who analyzes too much as she goes. I'd like to become speedy gonazales of readers.

11. Favorite book of the past year?
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE by Audrey Niffenegger.

12. If you weren't agenting you might be...
A music manager.

13. You tag??
Nephele Tempest, Pamela Harty, Kristin Nelson and Jennifer Jackson

10 Comments:

Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I LOVE the BeeGees!! In fact, haven't listened to them in a while, so I may have to find my CDs.

Great MEME...or meme. :-)

Shannon

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 8:50:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Devil In Winter on the weekend and LOVED IT!!!!!! I just adore the Wallflower series :)

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 9:09:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this would help with #7, but there are email services that will deliver Amazon & B&N sales rankings to your inbox. One is here: http://www.booksandwriters.com/

I subscribed to one of them for awhile (can't remember if it was books&writers) when my nonfic first came out. For some reason, getting it on email felt less like dawdling than going out to Amazon to check . . . also kept me away from my 9-page Amazon wish list :-D

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 9:11:00 AM EST  
Blogger Kristen Painter said...

You should really try wild cherry diet Pepsi. (Although I guess you meant less diet soda in general, not just less diet coke.)

:o)

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 9:25:00 AM EST  
Blogger Patrick McNamara said...

I like the early Bee Gees stuff. It's too bad most only think of them for the Saturday Night Live album. And to the best of my research, I couldn't find any New York mining disasters in that year.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 11:29:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite album in, oh, maybe 1973 or 1974 was the Best of the Bee Gees. The one before the disco era... Have I just dated myself? Embarassed myself horribly?
Ooops.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 12:57:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Shannon and Deidre, you are sick puppies. That said, it's not that I hate the BeeGees. I was a teen when they were hot. But I hated disco dancing with a passion. Like country line dancing a few years ago, I just couldn't get the hang of it. Very embarrassing.

Cindy

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 1:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger wilddunz said...

Does Andy Gibb's Shadow Dancing count? I love it...

And Diet Coke? I buy a Sonic Route 44 Diet Coke every morning on my way in to work and I never let myself see the bottom of it. One of the biggest perks to my job is the crushed ice machine.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marley Gibson said...

Never, ever, ever rule out Diet Coke. It is the fountain of youth as far as I'm concerned. Ponce de Leon was looking for the wrong thing! LOL!

Just adore the Bee Gees. Have since my sister gave me a 45 of "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" back in the early 70's. (And yes, Maureen...we're dating ourselves.) Loved Andy just as much and still get weepy listening to his songs. Such amazing lyrics.

Love the meme, DK!!

Marley = )

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did somebody say BeeGees? Did somebody say BeeGees?

I love the BeeGees. They are like a good wine. They can only get better with age.

Dusty Springfield.
ABBA (LOL) - I was in Europe watching Eurovision when they won...
Dionne Warwick.
Petula Clark - (Down Town)

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 8:03:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home