I Started a Meme, and Started All the Agents Blogging...
In case you didn't catch it, the title is a reference to an old Bee Gee's song. Yep, it's true. Agent De is a not-so-closeted fan of the Brothers Gibb. I do realize some out there are going EWWWWWWW as loud as you possibly can. That's fine. Others may be adding a new item to their list of requisite agent qualities--must not like tacky 70's disco. That's fine too.
But the real point of this blog is a little fun I dreamed up last night in bed. It's time to start an Agent's MEME. You know, the whole answer various questions and tag other people blogging game (I say that in case you DON'T know.)
So here goes my invented MEME for agents. (Does one capitalize all the letters of MEME or is it meme? I can't recall...)
1. First thing you did when you woke up today?
Read my overnight e-mail on blackberry after turning it off in its alarm clock feature.
2. Last book you read for pleasure or are currently reading for pleasure?
Lisa Kleypas's DEVIL IN WINTER.
3. Something you're excited about in your job today?I have two new submissions to send out, and I'm looking forward to getting them in the right hands.
4. Something you're dreading?
Eating weight watchers for lunch, yet again.
5. The worst conversation you ever had with an editor?In 1997 when I'd taken a preempt and another editor wasn't happy and screamed at me until I had to hang up on him.
6. The happiest conversation you ever had with an editor?
There are many, many of those. I just love talking to editors, period, because they're my kind of people, and doing the deal dance is a ton of fun.
7. A habit you'd like to quit?Checking Amazon and Barnes and noble for rankings so often. That, and too many 16 ounce diet cokes being consumed each day.
8. A habit you'd like to acquire?
9. Greatest strength as an agent?Persistence and determination (that's two, but they're related)
10. Greatest weakness?
Reading too slowly--not as in getting to submissions, but as in literally being a slow reader, one who analyzes too much as she goes. I'd like to become speedy gonazales of readers.
11. Favorite book of the past year?
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE by Audrey Niffenegger.
12. If you weren't agenting you might be...
A music manager.
13. You tag??
Nephele Tempest, Pamela Harty, Kristin Nelson and Jennifer Jackson