Tuesday, November 21, 2006

"The More You Write, The Better You Will Become"


We're fortunate enough to have TKA client Maxine Billings as a guest blogger today! Maxine is primarily an author of inspirational fiction. Her most recent release is THE BREAKING POINT. Please welcome Maxine to the TKA Blog!!!



What prompted you to begin writing?

I’ve always loved reading, but over the years, I didn’t have much time for it. When my first cousin Jacquelin Thomas became a published author, I started reading her books in an effort to support her. Her talent for making her stories come to life instilled in me a desire to pursue writing, and I wrote my first manuscript in 1999.

Do you have a specific writing process? Daily word count? Music or atmosphere necessary?

I decide what my story will be about and write a brief outline. Then I write my characters’ biographies (name, date of birth, occupation, physical description, personality, etc.). I don’t set a goal to write a particular amount of words per day. Because I still work a full-time job in addition to writing, I can’t write everyday, but I’m always thinking about things I can write. I try to jot down my ideas immediately. I don’t really need a particular atmosphere, but I’ve found that music can help my writing muse, especially if it’s Jazz or R & B, my favorites.

What advice would you give beginning authors?

Keep writing. The more you write, the better writer you will become. Don’t let rejections discourage you from writing. Sooner or later, someone is bound to believe in your talent. Get the “Writer’s Market.” It contains a wealth of information to help writers get their work published. Network with other writers, and attend writers’ conferences.

Can you share some information about your upcoming releases?

In August, 2007, my fifth book, “Time For Hope,” will be released. It is the story of 22-year-old Tyla Jefferson and 48-year-old Hope Mason who have totally different attitudes about life and people. Tyla’s mood is very positive while Hope, a single parent and workaholic, doesn’t trust anyone after her husband has an affair with her best friend. Once Hope opens up her heart to Tyla, she acknowledges her limitations and learns to trust again.

In October, 2007, I will have another short story featured in an anthology entitled “Gospel and Lace.” The title of my story is “One of a Kind.” It is the story of an outgoing, high-maintenance woman who keeps getting dumped by her boyfriends. She is more focused on her career and expensive lifestyle than her spirituality until she meets a man who is the exact opposite of the man she longs to spend the rest of her life with.


You can catch up with Maxine by joining her newsletter. Thank you so much, Maxine!!

4 Comments:

Blogger PatriciaW said...

Thanks for an interesting interview. I'm unfamiliar with Ms. Billings' work but I'm always on the hunt for new-to-me authors that I can enjoy and learn from.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 1:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks for sharing your insights with us. I find it quite motivating to hear how others have done it. Congratulations on reaching your writing dreams.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 3:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie Ramsey said...

Thank you Maxine! What great info. You are such an inspiration to so many!

Monday, November 27, 2006 at 11:52:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an enlightening interview. Appreciate your thoughts and motivation. It's so refreshing to read wholesome literature that hold your attention. Enjoyed "The Breaking Point" and can't wait to read your next novel. Thank you.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 at 12:37:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home