Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Debut Author

That’s me. When I think about it, it’s pretty awesome. The definition of debut is “first public appearance”, which I guess pertains to my book more than me. Because, like most new authors, I’ve been at this awhile. Even if you don’t count dabbling and scribbling for most of my life, I’ve been writing seriously for six years.

During that time, I finished 4 novels and half a dozen novellas of various genres. I flirted with steamy romance, then discovered my style wasn’t steamy enough. I tried contemporaries, which got good feedback but ultimately netted only rejection letters. Historicals were my first love, since I enjoy reading them so much. Melding fiction with history appeals to me because I learn something while I’m being entertained.

So I wrote one. I loved that story, but it was a little outside the box, and it got rejected. Many times. It’s tough not to take that personally when you put so much of yourself into your work. Then again, I can be a tad stubborn. I wanted to write unusual historicals and decided to give it another try. That book became Fearless, an Irish medieval with fairies and magic woven through the story. I’m proud to say it’s hitting the bookstores this month. I can’t wait to walk into our local Borders and see my first novel on a shelf alongside the books from all those talented storytellers.

A dream come true, for sure. But now I’m worried about the next one. It’s another unusual historical, and I wonder how it will be received. Will an editor fall in love with it? Will readers? I finally understand what several veteran writers have said about this creative, highly competitive business. It doesn’t get easier. It gets harder.

Becoming a debut author is a wonderful accomplishment, and I’m grateful to everyone who helped make that happen. But now I realize it’s only the beginning.

Andrea Wilder
Fearless—Dorchester Love Spell, August 2007
www.andreawilder.com

5 Comments:

Blogger The Girl You Used to Know said...

And I'm so excited about your debut! Yeah Andrea!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 10:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Darla said...

Congrats and good luck!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 11:22:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Savor the moments!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 11:31:00 AM EDT  
Blogger PatriciaW said...

Congratulations Andrea!

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 11:58:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Bernita said...

My congratulations.I am pleased for you.
"...romance, then discovered my style wasn’t steamy enough." - really resonated with me. I'm in the same boat.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 at 9:05:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home