Friday, September 26, 2008

Queen of All Media

Oprah Winfrey recently knighted another author Duke of Bestsellerdom. THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE, by software designer David Wroblewski was declared her latest book club pick. A spot on Winfrey’s list is so highly coveted, many authors (and editors) would go all Rumpelstiltskin and give up their first-born for the honor. According to Time, “It's the greatest force in publishing today…” Well-known bloggers like GalleyCat donned a trench coat and magnifying glass to snuff out Wroblewski’s book before it was announced.

So, I’ll admit it. There are more than a few books on my shelf with the tell-a-tale round O stamp of approval. And quite honestly, I enjoyed all of them. GAP CREEK, by Robert Morgan; PARADISE, by Toni Morrison; and THE POISONWOOD BIBLE, by Barbara Kingsolver, among others. So what’s your story? When the Oprah pick comes out, do you wonder what all the fuss is about or make sure to check it out?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Liza said...

I haven't been as diligent as to check out the Oprah list, but I've always wondered what her picks were like. I think the Oprah hysteria makes me run the other way, which is interesting considering how many people would kill to have their book on the list. I'll probably have to do myself the favor and look into one of the former or current picks one day.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 12:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jia Gayles said...

Hey Liza,

You aren't the only one running the other way. I know a few people who suffer an allergic reaction at the mere mention of her name. But you can't deny the power... Anyway, if you do decide to check it out...I found this handy list on her site: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsbookclub/pastselections/20080701_orig_list

I'm reading Middlesex now, so far so good...but still to early for judgement.


Best,

Jia

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 1:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Katie Alender said...

I'd heard great things about this book and seen an interview with the author that made me want to read it, all in the few days before Oprah's announcement. This actually seems like one case where Oprah is riding along with the rest of the media rather than leading the charge.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 2:39:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home