Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Take Home Tuesday with Diana Orgain!

UPDATE: The winner of an autographed copy of BUNDLE OF TROUBLE is RTAKETA. Congrats! Please send your physical addy to contests @ knightagency.net (remove spaces). If the prize is not claimed within two weeks, we reserve the right to redraw names.
Thank you to the Knight Agency for inviting me to guest blog. One randomly selected commenter will win a signed copy of my debut mystery, BUNDLE OF TROUBLE: A MATERNAL INSTINCTS MYSTERY.*
BUNDLE OF TROUBLE is the first in my series. New-mom, Kate Connolly, receives a disturbing phone call – a body’s been pulled from San Francisco Bay, and the police think it may be her brother-in-law. Kate is dreading returning to the corporate world and decides a career change is just what she needs. After all being a Private Investigator isn’t that difficult, it is? They just ask a bunch of questions…right?
In her busy world Kate uses to-do lists to track items. I’m a list maker, so this made sense to me. In fact, on my to-do list today was:
1. Write blog post for The Knight Agency.
2. Find babysitter for Saturday night.
3. Get uniforms for Kindergarten.
4. Put together workshop for Wednesday.
5. Set up signing in Oakland.
Let’s see – I did the first one – the blog post (well…um…I’m doing that now). And I did call the babysitter, but I won’t cross off my list until I know it’s done. My daughter starts Kindergarten on Thursday – so I have…I have tomorrow! Yes, I will do that tomorrow because Wednesday I have a workshop (which brings us to number 4) and number 5 doesn’t have a timeline so you can probably guess when that will get done.
I’ve tried to use a calendar feature on my computer but the “snooze” button on it is too convenient – I can just basically ignore the reminders until the pile up and up.
Any ideas out there? How do you manage your busy to-do list? Is it like mine and Kate’s where work life and home live cross-over? Do you have just one list or do you keep separate lists?
Would love to hear from you!
For more information on Diana, visit www.DianaOrgain.com!
*The winner will be announed tomorrow morning in this post. Today, Take Home Tuesday is restricted to U.S. and Canadian residents.

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger azteclady said...

Oh lists! I love lists--I keep notebooks with lists.

Basically, I keep one looooong list--each day I cross stuff off and add the new stuff. After a couple of days or a week, I copy the still-to-do stuff to a new page, and add all the newer to-do stuff, and start again.

I don't know that it works, but I love looking at all those crossed off things--makes me feel all accomplished :wink:

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 11:33:00 AM EDT  
Blogger CarolynPrescott said...

I work full time, have a six year old and an infant, so lists are a Must in my world. I start a new list every Monday on a yellow legal pad, alloting a chunk of lines for the five days of the week. Included are all the things I know are going to be happening (work, school, doctor's appointments, etc) with a few lines of space left for whatever comes up along the way. Then I have another list created on Friday afternoons for all the weekend chores. I love lists!!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 12:50:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work full-time, have an "almost 10" year old (as she'd put it) and one on the way. Google Calendar is my calendar, task list, and budget tracker all in one. I even have different colors for different calendars/tasks on my master calendar so I can see who needs to be where or what needs to be done at a glance (a bit over the top, I know, but I love organizational gadgets!) I too dig lists but find if I don't actually assign dates to some of my to-dos on a calendar, they just magically get pushed back and back and back until... what was I supposed to do again?

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 1:16:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Michelle (MG) Braden said...

I make lists for when I travel, all the things I need to do and/or pack before I go. I try to make grocery lists, but inevitably I leave them at home, which rather defeats the purpose, but because I've written it down at some point I can usually remember it.

I do calendar stuff too, because with three kids aged 3-10, we need to know where we're going and when we need to get there. Or rather, my husband does! :-) Cause if I don't write it down for him he can't keep track.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 1:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger ColleenFL said...

I use lists all the time but I have a habit of losing them. So I usually have more than one list going at a time. As long as everything gets done though it's okay.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 2:00:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Diana Orgain said...

Oh! You all are so organized! Much more so than me. I have to check out google calendar - I think I tried once and got distracted...I know that's hard to believe!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 2:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

I also use lists all the time when I go shopping/grocery shopping, travelling, visiting the library, etc.

If I didn't i probably forget half the stuff I needed or wanted. LOL!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 3:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger tetewa said...

I keep lists of all the books and movies I've read and watched!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 3:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger cvnvmrt said...

I'm not a mom, but I love children. I'm a fanatical list maker who makes a list every night otherwise I will be lost the following day. If I don't make a grocery list for shopping I'll forget the one thing I really needed at the store but come home with a full bag of groceries anyway. I always thought that being a detective would be fun and I'd love a legitimate reason to be nosy. Your book sounds like a hoot.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 5:06:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep three (yes 3!) calendars. One online, one beside my chair, and one in my purse. By the time I've coordinated all dates and appointments, I kind of have them memorized!

I do have a "to do" list. I LOVE marking off something. Quite a motivator.

I've found that the more I have to do, the more I get done. Makes no sense, does it? LOL

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 5:09:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Hugh Wilson said...

I'm a list person. But the best one is the list of friends I can count on to nag me about getting something done. Nothing better than the power of positive peer pressure. :)

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 7:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Serraphena said...

My husband and I both use lists often, but he calls mine "NFLs" - No Fun Lists. Apparently groceries and chores don't rank as highly as his list of Japanese death metal CDs.

My life is captured in my work Outlook calendar because I spend the most time there. If it isn't in Outlook, I'll probably forget.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 10:15:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Diana Orgain said...

Wow! I feel so at home with all you list-makers! I have a Franklin planner that I haven't used in ages (about 6 months - since my littlest was born) I'll have to pull it out - I love putting my to-do's on those pages - it makes everything seem weighty somehow (even those NFLs) : )
And, of course, I love crossing things off too - nothing better (well almost!)

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 11:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have lists everywhere. I have so many pieces of paper they get all bunched up and thrown together.Then I forget half the stuff i was to do or get. I'm so disorganized even when I try to keep everything together
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 11:02:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home