Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Countdown to Turkey Day with The Knight Agency: Maria Geraci

UPDATE: The winner of THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB by Maria Geraci is Sara! Congrats! Please send your physical addy to Contests(AT)KnightAgency.net.

Today Maria Geraci, author of the upcoming release THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB, as well as THE BUNCO BABES TELL ALL and THE BUNCO BABES GONE WILD, helps us continue our countdown to Turkey Day with a fun Q&A post about Thanksgiving traditions at her house. She also graciously agreed to take a Thanksgiving quiz to see if she was smarter than a 5th grader. See her results below. :-)

To win a copy of THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB, leave a comment. The winner will randomly drawn and announced tomorrow morning.

1. Who’s in charge of carving the turkey at your house? That would be my husband, Mike Geraci (I have a strange habit of using his full name when referring to him). I clean the turkey, stuff it, and cook it. He carves it and then takes all the credit!

2. Name one thing you usually only eat at Thanksgiving that you wish you could have every day. Oh my God. Years ago, I found this great vegetable medley recipe. You take a large bag of frozen vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli). Dump it in a casserole dish. Add 1 can of Durkee’s fried onion rings (reserve a small amount of onion rings for topping), 1 small jar of chopped pimentos, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 4 ounces of sour cream, shredded Swiss cheese (about 6 ounces) and mix it all together. Add pepper to taste. Place in a 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes until bubbling hot. In the last 10-15 minutes of cooking, you can sprinkle the top with the rest of the fried onion rings and some more cheese if you want.

My kids absolutely love this stuff. I only make it on the holidays because I don’t want to know how many calories are in it!

3. What is your fondest or funniest Thanksgiving memory? Probably the Thanksgiving I was still in college and couldn’t go home because I was working a part time job and had to work the Friday morning after the holiday, so I was really bummed. My parents surprised me and drove up to school (a 5 hour trip) with a complete meal. We had Thanksgiving dinner, just the 3 of us, in my little apartment!

4. How would the main character in THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB celebrate the holiday? Funny you should ask, because this scene actually happens in the book! Grace begins Thanksgiving day with her family by keeping their years long tradition of watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade on television. Her brother Charlie (who’s a main secondary character in the book) misses it because he’s working, which causes some tension between them. Then her mother and her abuela go out power shopping, while Grace decorates their artificial Christmas tree and Grace’s dad (Pop) and Charlie decorate the house Clark Griswald style (think National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie.)

5. Are you smarter than a 5th grader? The following quiz was created for elementary school kids. Take the test, and share your score – and elaborate on why you think you are a Thanksgiving whiz or maybe why social studies was never your strongest subject.
1. What year did the Pilgrim first celebrate Thanksgiving?
a) 1521
b) 1621 (correct answer)
c) 1721
d) 1821
Yay! I got this right. Maybe I am smarter than a 5th grader!

2. How long did the first Thanksgiving celebration last?
a) 1 day
b) 2 days
c) 3 days (correct answer)
d) 4 days
Oops! So the right answer is 3 days and not 4. But… If I was one of those pilgrims, we’d definitely be celebrating as long as we could. I mean, I’d take any chance to break away from milking cows and tending crops and cleaning and the other multitude of chores I’m sure women did back then. Wouldn’t you?

3. Which president established Thanksgiving as the last Thursday in November?
a) Abraham Lincoln (correct answer)
b) Andrew Johnson
c) Franklin Roosevelt
d) George Washington
Abraham Lincoln? Are you sure? I’m pretty positive they didn’t teach this back in my 5th grade.

4. Where was the first Thanksgiving celebrated?
a) Mayflower
b) Plymouth (correct answer)
c) Springfield
d) Boston
Yay!

5. Wild turkeys can NOT fly.
a) True
b) False (correct answer)
This is a perfect example of a trick question. Of course, I got this right, but still…

What a fun quiz! I love Thanksgiving! There’s no pressure to buy or give presents. Just good food, surrounded by family and friends and the knowledge that I’ve made it one more year on this planet with the opportunity to give thanks for all the wonderful things I’ve been given. This past year, I’ve had several friends diagnosed with different medical problems. Thankfully, everyone is doing well and fighting their hardest to keep healthy. It makes me doubly thankful that my husband and kids are healthy and safe and that we have a roof over our heads and food on our table. You really can’t ask for more in life than that.

I’m also extremely grateful to have a new book coming out next month. It’s called THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB and it’s a romantic comedy about a woman who turns her dysfunctional book club into a boyfriend club, where women come together to discuss the men they’ve dated, comparing them to classic literary heroes and villains.

It’s getting some great advance reviews. Publishers’s Weekly says, “Geraci (BUNCO BABES TELL ALL) fills the fluffy but enjoyable story with literary references, and her leading lady is endearingly flawed. Romance readers will revel in the Austen-perfect happy ending and the warm friendship among members of the club.”

I’d love to give away a copy of the book to one commenter (will be mailed out the first week of December- perfect for your holiday reading!)

Thanks TKA!

Maria Geraci writes fun, romantic women’s fiction. Her third novel, THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB, comes out December 7, 2010, in trade paperback, from Berkley, Penguin, USA. Please visit her website at www.mariageraci.com for more information on her books.

Labels: , , , , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Painter said...

Now I'm hungry. I can't wait to read this book!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:50:00 AM EST  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

Your new book sounds good. :)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:57:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jamie said...

I can't wait to read this! :)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:27:00 AM EST  
Blogger Carlie Angelus said...

Just the title of your book makes me laugh. Would love to read it!

Thought your quiz was so funny. Between you and me, I'm dreading my Thanksgiving (which is really my fave holiday cause I don't have to wrap gifts). We are visiting the inlaws and they keep the house about 97 degrees due to the blood thinners they are taking.

Between that and my hormones I'm the hot flash queen!

Hope you have a nice climate controlled holiday!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:38:00 AM EST  
Blogger Ellz said...

Maria, it is ironic that you are here today, last night I went to my first bunco game. It was so much fun and I told everyone about your books! congrats on your new release!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:39:00 AM EST  
Blogger Meradeth Houston said...

Fun interview! Now I can't stop thinking about some pumpkin pie... Your book sounds seriously fun!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:41:00 AM EST  
Blogger Maureen said...

Congratulations on the new book and the great reviews! I do like seeing family on Thanksgiving without the stress of decorating and buying presents.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:57:00 AM EST  
Blogger C. Zampa said...

Now I want turkey and dressing!
How many days until Thanksgiving?

Congratulations on your releases!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 12:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jeannene Walker said...

Sounds like a charming winner of a book. The recipe is a winner too if you ask me. Love to read the book.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 12:51:00 PM EST  
Blogger Maria Geraci said...

Kristen, just thinking about that recipe makes me hungry too!

Crystal and Jamie, thanks for stopping by to comment!

Carlie- YOU make me laugh! OMG. I would die. Maybe you should invest in one of those little hand held fans they sell at WalMart then maybe your in-laws will take the hint:)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 1:13:00 PM EST  
Blogger Maria Geraci said...

Elie, I hope you had a good time at Bunco! Thanks for pimpin' me out :)

Maradeth- thanks for stopping by to comment. And yes, my book IS seriously funny. At least I think so!

C. Zampa and Jeannene, thanks for the well wishes!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 1:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kirsten said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 1:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger jeff7salter said...

I would have missed two of those five questions. So, I guess I would flunk fifth grade this time.
Ha.
My favorite 'dish' is dressing, provided it does NOT have celery in it. It can't be too dry either.
I prefer it without gravy, or with just a tiny bit. Picky? Yeah.

Note to Carlie: 97 degrees?
Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Jerry's parents in FLA refuse to turn on the A/C and Elaine is about to pass out.
Of course Elaine Bennis was a drama queen.
LOL.
Jeff

P.S. Maria, please register me for the drawing.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 2:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sara said...

Great interview! It's so nice to hear some of other peoples fond memories of the Holidays. Makes me think of mine :-)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 4:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger LSUReader said...

What a great idea for a book club! Sounds good; count me in, please.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 4:05:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great interview and I'm dying to try the veggie recipe and read the book!

I currently have 31 wild Turkeys eating the grass seed I just put out on my lawn. I think they're in hiding out here!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 4:08:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Joan said...

I love the title of your new book, Maria! And, I agree w/ you that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Normally, I celebrate w/ my partner and close friend and/or many friends. It's a fun holiday

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 4:28:00 PM EST  
Blogger Bella@BeguileThySorrow said...

lol I totally want to read this! I'm always comparing guys I like/know to classic literary heroes and villains :P

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 5:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Maria Geraci said...

Kirsten, I actually have a recipe for pumpkin cake. Have never made it, but have tried it and it's delicious.

Jeff, thanks for stopping by and you're automatically entered just by commenting:)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 5:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Maria Geraci said...

Sara, I wish we could do Thanksgiving every month. But then my jeans would never fit me:)

LSU Reader, thanks for commenting. Good luck!

Kate, this recipe is so sinfully delich. My kids love it!

Joan, thanks for entering!

Bella, figuring out the literary archetypes was one of the best parts of writing this book ;) Thanks for commenting!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 5:53:00 PM EST  
Anonymous vitch36 said...

Can't wait to read TBFOTMC...and to try that awesome sounding recipe!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 8:52:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marilyn Brant said...

I am really excited to read this book!! And, Maria, that vegetable casserole recipe of yours sounds SO good ;).

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:32:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Chelsea B. said...

I can't wait to read your new book! It has such a cute cover! :-)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:37:00 PM EST  
Blogger jeff7salter said...

LSU Reader,
are you from Baton Rouge?
I took my masters degree at LSU.
Of course, maybe there's more than one. But I'm talking about the Bayou Bengals. Geaux Tigers!
Jeff

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kerri Cuev said...

The book sounds great and so does the vegetable medely. Might have to try that!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 10:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lucy said...

I've got to start reading your blog later in the day!

Great post, can't wait to read your book. :)

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 6:44:00 AM EST  
Blogger Maria Geraci said...

vitch36, thanks for stopping by to commet :) I hope you like the recipe as much as I do (and the book of course!)

Marilyn, You're a sweetheart! Thanks for coming by;)

Chelsea B, I love my cover too! When I first saw it I started squealing. It was exactly what I had envisioned :)

Kerri C, thanks for commenting!

Lucy, why are you up so early in the morning? LOL, just joking. Sometimes I get a late start ;)

Once again, thanks to TKA for having me here today and to everyone who read the post and took the time to comment. You're the best! I wish I could give everyone a free book!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 8:38:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home