Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Renee Luke Tonight!


Don't forget! Tonight's TKA Chat stars Renee Luke! 9-10PM EDT
The chat room is linked to the TKA homepage (NOT Yahoo!)

A little bit about our star--Renee Luke:

1. My name isn't really Renee. I chose it when I was 9 years old from stopping at our neighbor's house and watching Days of Our Lives. Renee was a character. Before I settled on Renee, I was Rose for two weeks. My real name? Radhika. It's Hindu and means the female counter-part/lover/wife to Krishna.

2. I'm a vegetarian. I never eaten meat. Not a bite my entire life. It's a lifestyle my parents chose before I was born, and by the time I was on my own, a lifestyle I was accustomed to and decided to continue.

3. I grew up without electricity, phone, TV, or a flush toilet. Yes, I was born in the '70's. And yes, my parents were fully into the era. On Sunday nights my dad would hook a TV up to the car battery and we'd watch the Disney movie and Wild Kingdom. I was 11 when we moved to town.

4. I'm dyslexic. Was held back in 1st grade because I couldn't read. Went on to skip 3rd and graduated high school early and to California State, Chico at 16. Met my husband at 18, had a baby at 19 and never finished college. That's okay, I guess. I found a career I love. Writing.

5. I'm a full-time mom. Four kids and a super busy schedule, my life is all about them. I'm very much a Gemini. I have the mini-van, the soccer mom thing going on. At night--at night, I write.

Wow! What an amazing story, Renee! Find out more about this fascinating author tonight!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Renee,
My computer crashed and I could not respond in any way at the end of the chat.
I would just like to tell you that it was an enjoyable session. You said you'd been nervous but it did not come across like that, and I think that once you settled into the role of "star" for the session, you fitted in nicely.
I think that it's important to keep one part of one's self going that lives beyond the four walls of life, ie., children, husband, dog, housework, job (if it isn't writing and you don't love it) etc. Because when the kids are grown up and doing their own thing, there could be nothing worse (personally) than sitting down with memories as if my life is over. For me it began when I was able to start my own thing going, once my chicks flew the nest. And the luxury of a supportive husband didn't go astray either.
My mother has reached that stage with the death of the last vestige of her household. My father. And now she's an empty shell with nothing left.
That will never never happen to me because there's this whole world inside my head that lives and longs always to escape. They're a rowdy bunch and if I don't leave the door open they'd just get noisier because there always seems to be new people walking into my imagination.
As I said (?) I enjoyed my session with you and will go and get that book. I am intrigued by the cover.
Regards
Pennyoz

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee,

I'm always so happy to hear success stories of other dyslexic women. I'm proud to say that I have dyslexia because of people like you! Thank you.

Kristina

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 1:59:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home