Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Release Day Reflections...


Yesterday was the official release day for my first YA novel, I Was a Teenage Popsicle, and I'm here to tell you all--especially the unpubbed writers among you--that all the pain and suffering you're going through is totally and completely worth it!

The TKA gang has kindly invited me to guest blog today, and I want to tell you a little about my writing journey. Some of you know I'm a former romance editor. What you may not know is that I've written two romance novels. You don't know because they were written many years apart, and they no longer appear on my website.

The truth is, it took me a long time to realize I wasn't meant to write romance. Well, not traditional adult romance, anyway. My YA novels definitely have strong romantic components, and editing/writing romance novels was invaluable training for writing YA. But I found writing romance really, really hard.

Yes, of course writing is always hard. Writing Popsicle was certainly no walk in the park; I wrote several drafts on my own, then did a couple more huge rewrites with my editor. But the YA voices and characters came much more naturally to me, and hence, the process was much more enjoyable.

I consider myself very lucky to have discovered my true voice after years of flailing around, achieving sporadic but ultimately unsatisfying success in another genre. Now I have many other YA projects in the works (the ideas are coming fast and furious!), a well-respected agency solidly behind me, supporting and encouraging me every step of the way (ginormous, public thanks here to Elaine, Deidre, Julie, Jana and the rest of the gang!), and the huge satisfaction of knowing I've found what I'm meant to do at last. (The book's gotten a great reception, and I've become a marketing machine, enthusiastically stumping for it wherever I can--which is totally unlike me, surely another sign that this is what I'm meant to be writing!)

Some people are lucky enough to discover their true calling right off the bat. For others of us, it takes longer. Those of you still on your journey will be envious of the others (been there, done that!), of their 'instant' and continued success. But I'm here to tell you, you'll get there, too. There are all kinds of ways to reach a destination. Sprinting is one way. Walking is another. And guess what? Walking allows you to appreciate the journey--and your final destination--a whole lot more!

Much love,

Bev (Katz Rosenbaum)

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Painter said...

I'm picking this up tomorrow on my trip to Books-A-Million!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 11:18:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the release of I Was a Teenage Popsicle :)

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 11:41:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes so true. Write from the heart not from the head.

Don't you just love it when the BIG question comes:

"What does it feel like to be an overnight success?

LOL.

Congratulations!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 11:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Knitty Yas said...

re-writing is killing me right now and honestly, tonight I was on the verge of scrapping the whole project. Until I read your post. Some authors talk like they woke up famous and the writing world was just wonderful to them. It's nice to know that not only did you feel the same that I am feeling now, but that you understand the hair pulling, screaming, ranting, and raving that happens when your trying to get your story out there. The whole idea is that it takes time.

So thanks to you and congrats on the release! and thanks to TKA for letting us read such a cool post. :p

Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 3:10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liane Gentry Skye said...

I swear, lately for every 500 words I write, I end up trashing 450. Rewrites, as my 13 y.o. told me, are just "bound to feel like total suckage".

She's right!

This was such an inspiring read. :)

Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 7:39:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Patrick McNamara said...

I'm having a hard time finding the market for my writing. I've got some teriffic stuff filled with humor, adventure, fantasy (moreso paranormal fantasy) and romance, but I'm having a hard time placing it. I'm not even sure myself what genre it falls into. It's hard to find a suitable publisher or agent when each one has specific requirements.

Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 8:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jana Armstrong said...

Excellent post, Bev! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 10:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Marley Gibson said...

Huge CONGRATS to you, Bev! Enjoy the "high" of it all!

Hugs,
Marley = )

Friday, October 6, 2006 at 9:52:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home