Thursday, June 21, 2007

You just never know!


In honor of my newest release, Red Handed, I thought I'd post a. . . peek into my life.

Let me start by saying that life is funny sometimes. Like Forest said, you never know what you’re going to get. Here’s a perfect example.

Ladies, you know those yearly examines we love so much? (Men, don’t run off just yet!) Well, Doom Day had arrived for me. Picture it. I’m wearing one of those delicious gowns, totally naked from the waist down as I wait for my doctor to arrive. The room is cold, the exam table is cushy but the stiff white paper across it ruins any notion of comfort. I’m nervous, a little shaky.

My phone rings, cutting through the silence.

I glance at my purse; my phone is inside -- several looooong feet away and digging will be needed to reach the Blackberry. If I get up and my doctor walks in, she’ll get a view she didn’t sign up for. Sandpaper for the corneas anyone?

The phone rings again.

I decide to risk the peep show and make a run for it. It’s my agent. As I hop back onto the table she says calmly, “I have some good news.”

In 2 seconds, a thousand things rush through my mind. Here’s a few: I don’t have a release out, so I haven’t hit a list. Did she just say good news or bad? Did I remember to shave my legs? Maybe I got a really good review. About a book, not my legs. I need a latte. Damn, I’m hungry. Wait, who am I on the phone with? “Yeah?” I manage.

“HQN wants to buy four more books from you!”

I’m gasping for breath, trying to utter an amazingly intelligent “Really?” when my doctor walks in. She sees me and gives me a it’s-not-that-bad smile and a pat. I tell my agent I’ll call her back, and then I start laughing. And laughing and yes, everyone wondered about the strange hyena in Exam Room 3. But I learned a wonderful lesson that day. Things may look bad right now, but good news might be waiting just around the corner!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the books! Next time try using the barrier paper as a skirt. I've seen patients do that.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 9:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Darla said...

My Dr. (who is retired now, unfortunately) used to have sundress type gowns that had a loose tube top gather at the top so you didn't have to do the peek-a-boo dash.

BIG, BIG Congrats on the books! You deserve it!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 12:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger danetteb said...

Lol...I've got an appt. coming up and I always feel weird on the paper on the exam table.

Congrats on more HQN books! * Tossing confetti*

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 1:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Keri Ford said...

Just finished CATCH A MATE and I loved it! Laughed all the way through it. I don’t suppose those 4 (BIG CONGRATS) from HQN are spin offs from CATCH A MATE? Would certainly like to learn more about Jake and Marcus’s brother in Texas! *hint*nudge*hint*

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 2:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lis said...

Yay, congrats!! Looking forward to reading the new books :)

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 3:56:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure all females can relate to that story. I loved it! Great moral @ the end too! Thanks for a good giggle.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 3:57:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Babe King said...

lol I find it very reassuring that your thoughts run as scattered as mine. :-) Congrats on the books! Awesome!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 8:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Stacy~ said...

LOL what a visual Gena. Thrilled at the latest news!

Friday, June 22, 2007 at 6:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger JDuncan said...

Ha! Thanks for the laugh, Gena. Hopefully you can incorporate a scene like that in one of your four upcoming books! Congrats.

JDuncan

Friday, June 22, 2007 at 8:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger B.E. Sanderson said...

Awesome news, Gena! (About the book deal, not the exam.)

And thanks for the hilarious picture. =oD

Friday, June 22, 2007 at 9:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats about the book deal! Every time I hear someone else's good news, it revives my hope that I'll get one of those calls someday :-)

As for the exam...I am a notable rebel. I refuse to wear those icky paper gowns. I have a robe that is lightweight and packable, and I put it in my shoulder bag when I have the yearly ordeal. It meets all of the requirements--opens in the front and the area below the waist is easily accessable.

My DR. just shrugs. I feel more comfortable in my own "clothes" and the job gets done. LOL

Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 11:54:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Maureen McGowan said...

Now that's a call story.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 7:58:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home