Monday, September 21, 2009

Mother-Daughter Duo Writes YA Horror Novel

A.J. Whitten is the pen name for well known romance author Shirley Jump and her teenage daughter/co-writer Amanda. THE WELL is the first release for this dynamic duo!
Thanks for having us on the blog! Mandy and I, who write horror teen novels as A.J. Whitten, have our first release out this week with THE WELL (Houghton Mifflin Graphia). While working together was great fun, just hanging out can be a blast too. We have a lot of common interests (horror movies, Broadway plays, the mall ;-)), and we thought we’d do a “Ten Random Questions” quiz to see how we score on alikeness here.
Please look for THE WELL in stores nationwide, and at online venues. It’s the story of Cooper Warner, a high school freshman whose mother is trying to kill him. He’s trying to write his Hamlet paper, fend off a matricide and fight the evil creature that lives in the well behind his house.

1. When was the last time you went to the mall?
-Mandy: Way too long ago, last week I think. I got a New Found Glory shirt and glasses :)
-Shirley: I don’t think I should answer that on the grounds it could incriminate me in overuse of a credit card ;-). Let’s just say, between you and me and the rest of the Internet, that it was recent. Very recent. And there are absolutely positively no new shoes in my closet as proof. Cough, cough.

2. Name the last movie you saw.
-Mandy: I just saw Sorority Row with my mom and it was all right. I just recently saw Gamer and I thought it was awesome!
-Shirley: Sorority Row with Mandy. Her friends don’t like scary movies and neither do mine, so we’re best horror movie buddies. But, like she said, it was just okay. Not as scary as other movies we’ve seen!

3. What are you wearing right now?
-Mandy: I’m wearing blue skinny jeans, a Los Angeles tee and my white Vans authentic with Paramore lyrics written on them.
-Shirley: black capris and a green long-sleeved T that I bought in San Francisco. Sorry, Mandy, no Paramore lyrics on my black wedges ;-)

4. If you were on a desert island, what three things would you bring (other than food and water)?
-Mandy: I would bring my iPod, my guitar and my good friend Haley Swartz :)
-Shirley: (uh, Mandy, I’m going to have to talk to you about survival skills ;-). Matches, an axe and my Crackberry.

5. Ever go to camp?
-Mandy: Oh my gosh I love camp! I went to Camp Lutherhaven for 7 summers in a row! I would still go, but sadly I’m too old.
-Shirley: Once. And I stress the ONCE. I went to camp when I was around eleven or twelve. Ugh. I am so NOT nature girl. My idea of “roughing it” is staying in a hotel that doesn’t have room service ;-)

6. If you could eat just one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
-Mandy: SPAGHETTI!!!
-Shirley: Anything in the pasta family (like mother, like daughter!), but probably Fettuccini Alfredo would be number one. But it would have to have no weight-gain after effects whatsoever, LOL. I spend enough time on that elliptical as it is!

7. What are you listening to right now?
-Mandy: Recently, I’ve been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan. I also just got into a rap-rock artist called Cage.
-Shirley: Whatever Mandy forces me to in the car ;-). Just kidding. I’m not a super-hip mom, as she reminds me on a regular basis, but I have been known to listen to Uncle Kracker, Rehab, and Colbie Calliet.

8. Describe yourself in 3 words
-Mandy: Authentic, optimistic and philosophical.
-Shirley: Mandy, you picked great words! For me, I’d say: outgoing, hard-working, and Mom. :-)

9. Sam or Dean (on Supernatural)?
-Mandy: Dean, for sure. ;)
-Shirley: I totally thought Mandy would say Sam! I’m a Dean fan, too. Jensen Ackles…love his uh, acting.

10. If you could be a part of any television family, which one would it be and why?
-Mandy: I’d want to be in the Tanner family from Full House. With a dad like that, I’d definitely rebel. I’d be the bad child that they make hide in a closet when guests come over. lol
-Shirley: LOL, Mandy. Not my precious sweet daughter! I would want to be part of the Jetsons’ family. Not only did they have all that automated housework, they had Rosie to do any other leftover housework. Far as I could tell, Mrs. Jetson didn’t have to do much more than look pretty all day ;-).



www.ajwhitten.com
www.myspace.com/ajwhittenbooks

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ellz said...

This sounds interesting. I will be watching for more on this. I would love to do a review for my blog. Thanks for the head up!

Monday, September 21, 2009 at 9:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Shirley said...

Thanks, Elie!

Shirley

Monday, September 21, 2009 at 1:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow.
Thanks for the great interview.
You must have a great relationship to be able to write together, especially as my teen daughter wants to distance herself from her mother and assert her own self.
Thanks for sharing,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Monday, September 21, 2009 at 3:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cecelia said...

HA! That was hilarious and entertaining and wonderful. Thanks for the interview!

Monday, September 21, 2009 at 8:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Shirley said...

RK, yes, we're pretty close (not to say we don't have mom-daughter squabbles), but by and large, Mandy and I are pretty close, for which I feel pretty blessed!

thanks, celi.a!

Shirley

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 10:07:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home