Monday, February 08, 2010

LOVERS ROCK WEEK (Day 1): Hosted by Jasmine Haynes

UPDATE: The winner of YOURS FOR THE NIGHT by Jasmine Haynes is Cecile. Please email you physcial addy to contests(AT)knightagency.net.
Note from TPTB: This week we have invited five fabulous authors to guest blog about some of their favorite lovers of all time, fictional or real, in honor of the upcoming Valentine's holiday. Each author will be giving away a signed copy of one of their books, so make sure you check back throughout the week!
____________________________________

There are so many examples of famous lovers, both real and fictional, Scarlett and Rhett, Maid Marian and Robin Hood, Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton, Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson, Bonnie and Clyde, Tracy and Hepburn, Bacall and Bogart, Ned and Matty. Ned and Matty, you ask? Who the heck are they? Just about my favorite pair of fictional lovers. Perhaps it was the steamy nature of the movie. I’d never seen anything quite like it, albeit I was mucho younger at the time with it being the early 80s and all. It was completely...hot. I remember an eye-popping scene where Ned throws a chair through a window to get at Matty, her in that sexy red skirt. It was shocking and...hot. Or maybe I already mentioned that. Got it figured out yet? Still don’t know? Think of it as a film noir reminiscent of the 1940s classics like The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity? Heh, in making sure I get all my dates correct, I see that the remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice with Jessica Lange and Jack Nicholson was actually the same year as my fave, 1981, and talk about another steamy scene, whoa! However, I have to admit I still prefer the original version with Lana Turner. But I’m getting off topic here! Ned and Matty, William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. No matter the wonderful movies I’ve seen her in since, Kathleen Turner will always be Matty Walker in Body Heat. Did you guess correctly?

Now I wouldn’t exactly call Ned and Matty hero and heroine. They aren’t the nicest people. There’s a core of badness in each of them. First of all, Matty’s married to Edmund! Not to mention that perhaps Edmund stands in the way of what she wants. And how best to deal with a husband who’s in the way when divorce won’t work? Maybe a little murder. They were great characters, and I always find not-so-nice characters fascinating. They’re dark and luscious and drag me into a great story with intense emotions. Maybe that’s why I love these kinds of lovers, that intensity of emotion between them. Somehow, I keep rooting for them even though I know it’s probably going to end badly for them. I think of Ann Stuart’s and Linda Howard’s assassins, especially Death Angel. The assassin with a heart of gold.

Which makes me think of another phrase, the hooker with a heart of gold. And that brings me to my own series, Courtesans Tales. My heroines are just that. But please, we prefer to call them courtesans, LOL. I wanted to explore all the reasons a woman might choose to become a courtesan. The good, the bad, and the ugly, so to speak, yet still classy and elegant with romance and a happy ending, even if it might not always be traditional. Tackling characters who are doing something a little outside the mainstream, why they would choose to do it, well, that all fascinates me as much as Matty and Ned.
YOURS FOR THE NIGHT is the first book in my series, and to give you a taste, I’m offering an autographed copy to one lucky winner from those who post a comment on the blog. Book 2, HERS FOR THE EVENING, will be out in May, and the third, MINE UNTIL MORNING will arrive in stores in December. In LACED WITH DESIRE, out this month in time for Valentines and also featuring stories by Jaci Burton, Joey Hill, and Denise Rossetti, my story, “La Petite Mort,” visits with one of the characters featured in Courtesans Tales. Please try out an excerpt here.

So, I’d love to hear who your favorite bad-to-the-bone lovers are? Don’t forget to post a comment to be entered in my drawing for
YOURS FOR THE NIGHT! The winner will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

Jasmine Haynes (also writing as JB Skully and Jennifer Skully)!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Great to be here, everyone!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 8:57:00 AM EST  
Blogger tracey said...

my favorite all time lovers has got to be romeo and juliette they set the standard for every other loving couple these days twitter -tracey1972

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 8:58:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jia Gayles said...

Hey Jasmine,

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks so much for blogging with us today! I know I can't win *grin* but I thought I'd share one of my most favorite couples. It has to be Richard Gere and Julia Roberts, specifically in Pretty Woman. Oh, wait. Maybe Richard Gere and Debra Winger in An Officer and a Gentleman. Oh wait...Tracey has a good point about Romeo and Juliet.

It's kind of hard to pick just one! LOL.

Best,

Jia

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:16:00 AM EST  
Blogger INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:20:00 AM EST  
Blogger INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

I don't have a favourite famous couple, instead I'm going to have to go with Syn and Shahara Dagan from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Born of Fire novel. What could go wrong between an assassin and a bounty hunter with their own complexities and morals in between? ;)

Although . . . I do have a soft soft for Maid Marian and Robin Hood at times. ;)

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:25:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Romeo and Juliet! How could I have forgotten them, Tracey. Yes, great lovers.

LOL, Richard Gere and anyone works for me, Jia! But I do have a soft spot for both movies you mentioned, but I especially love when he carries Debra Winger out of the paper factory! Thanks for having me on the blog!

Incident, I so agree on the complexities and morals between characters such as an assassin and a bounty hunter. There are so many shades of gray that I find very interesting. But I also have to admit that soft spot for Robin and Marian, especially in the classic movie with Errol Flynn. Can you all tell I love classic movies?!

Thanks for commenting, everyone!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:39:00 AM EST  
Blogger Sarah Simas said...

Hi Jasmine!

What a fun post! I love anything with Kathleen Turner, epsecially Romancing the Stone. She's far from a bad girl in that flick, but it still rocks!

One of my favorite pairings is Rufus Sewell and Catherine McCormack in Dangerous Beauty. She is a Venician Courtesan and he is a married titled aristocrat. Such passion! It's based off the true story called "The Honest Courtesan." I can't count how many times I've watched it.

I enjoyed your post! Thanks!

Smile!,
Sarah

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 10:45:00 AM EST  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Real life: Queen Victoria & Prince Albert, they had 9 kids.

Movie: Anna Scott & William Thacker from Notting Hill, so cute together.

Story: Tristan & Isolde, because it was forbidden.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 10:55:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Yes, Sarah, that's what I love about Kathleen Turner, she's so versatile. Loved her in Romancing the Stone, too! And I'm going to have to check out Dangerous Beauty. I really enjoy Rufus Sewell.

Victoria and Albert is a wonderful real-life romance, Kirsten. And I enjoyed both Notting Hill and Tristan and Isolde. Great choices!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 11:00:00 AM EST  
Blogger HJGarrett said...

A couple I go back to time and time again is Benny Hogan and Jack Foley from Maeve Bivenchy's Circle Of Friends. Jack was kind and caring and didn't see a big girl when he looked at Benny. And even though it would hurt Benny he didn't shy from responsibility he thought was his.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 11:41:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Oh, great choice, Heather!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 12:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger LSUReader said...

I still love Rhett and Scarlett from Gone With the Wind. Thanks for visiting today.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 1:07:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Katrina said...

Ooh, mine have been taken already. I could watch Richard Gere pick Debra Winger up every day of the week and still not get tired of it.

I think the first couple I fell in love with was Robin Hood and Maid Marian, but from the Disney version where they're foxes. The most romantic cartoon ever.

And Kirsten, did you see that Queen Victoria's underwear recently were sold? One word: massive. Prince Albert either loved her a lot or had a raging sex addiction.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 2:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Rhett and Scarlett always, LSUReader!!

LOL, Katrina! I so have to laugh at the underwear comment!!! For scenes I love to watch over and over (like Richard Gere carrying Debra Winger), I love the ending kiss in both Bridget Jones Diary and Penelope. James McAvoy made my heart quicken, LOL. Gosh, come to think of it, I loved the kiss he gave Jane in Becoming Jane. Whew, fanning myself!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 2:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger jeanette8042 said...

My favorite lovers would have to be Elena and Raphael from Nalini Singh's Guild Hunetr series.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 2:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Oh yes, Jeanette, Nalini is a master!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 3:39:00 PM EST  
Blogger Armenia said...

Hi Jasmine, what a fun post.

If they ever made a movie of KMM's The Dark Highlander, I can imagaine just the sexual intensity dripping off the two characters. I can imagine Clive Owen as Daegus MacKeltar, with his leather breeches halfway down his hips, no shirt and a sexy all-knowing smile as he gazes at his heroine before he contemplates on chasing her through a meadow and having his way with her. And she glares back at him in challenge. Now, that is intensity.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 4:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Oh, Armenia, you've me fanning myself with that! Especially the Clive Owen part because I love him. Although I have to say that most of his movies don't grab me as much. As Daegus, he'd be wonderful!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 4:50:00 PM EST  
Blogger elaing8 said...

for movies Rhett and Scarlett from Gone With the Wind.Love that movie.Cat and Bones from the Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost.Angel and Buffy from TV.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 8:30:00 PM EST  
Blogger Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

My bad to the bone lovers:

Luicen and Anya from The Lord of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter. That was one romance that kicked butt. She could not give "it" up without giving herself to whoever she gave "it" up to. Now imagine being bound to the one you first gave it up to. She gave it willing, but that challenge was getting there.

Thanks for a chance to play!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger Linda Henderson said...

I've got to go with Eve Dallas and Roarke from J.D.Robb's In Death series. She is a cop, and he has a shady past. Makes for an explosive combination.

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:28:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Yes, Elaine, Buffy and Angel! but I was also partial to Buffy and Spike, too. I'm so fickle, LOL!

Oh, yes, Cecile, Gena's lovers really kick butt!

Ooh, Linda, I just lsitened to a JD Robb book on my MP3. Love Eve and Raork!

All great lovers, ladies!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 9:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger Bella@BeguileThySorrow said...

Jasmine & jeanette8042 ~

I'm obsessed with Nalini's books right now! I just read Angel's Blood and then promptly made my boyfriend promise to get me Archangel's Kiss for Valentine's Day! LOL

So far my favorite lover's are Sascha Duncan and Lucas Hunter from Slave to Sensation :)
But when I read another book, it will probably be that couple,lol

As for movie's, I always love seeing Jack and Rose in Titanic *sigh*
Bella

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 12:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Nalani's lovers are absolutely wonderful, I totally agree, Bella. And Jack and Rose aren't too shabby either!

Thanks for stopping by everyone. I'm off to bed. Nighty-night!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 12:48:00 AM EST  
Blogger mariska said...

Am i too late ? hope not :)

my favorite will be Gideon Trevithick and Charis in Anna Campbell's Captive of Sin !

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 7:31:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

You're not too late, Mariska! I haven't read Anna Campbell, but I've heard she's wonderful. So I'll put Captive of Sin on my list!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 8:51:00 AM EST  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

I would have to say JR Ward's Zsadist and Bella are my favorite.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 10:20:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

JR Ward, another great writer, Crystal!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 11:53:00 AM EST  
Blogger tetewa said...

My favorite couple is Noah and Allie from The Notebook!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 12:41:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Oh Gosh, I loved that book and movie, Teresa!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 12:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Hi, all! Thanks to everyone for stopping by! The winner of the autographed copy of Yours for the Night is Cecile Smith! Congratulations, Cecile!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 8:08:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home