Tuesday, February 21, 2006

One Night Only: What's HOT & What's NOT

As promised, here is a pic and a teaser. Don't forget about tonight! Elaine Spencer, Submissions Coordinator, will be answering all your questions!

Elaine Spencer
TKA--Submissions Coordinator
Tues, 2-21-06
9-10PM EST

As many of you have acknowledged, I am very blessed. You see I wake up each morning with the dream job of reading all day, AND I get paid for it. Everyone can picture one of those mornings where the alarm goes off, you pull your eyes open, peak out of the covers over to the window, and you can literally feel how cold and dreary it is outside. On days such as these, when ALL you want to do is curl up with a good book, I do. Now granted, I do have to drag myself into the office . . . oh except for the fact that you all have seen the beautiful space we get to spend our days in! And then there’s the issue of dealing with my dreaded co-workers . . . oh except for the fact that I work with the most amazing women who pull together to form this indescribable team! So then that leaves me with the actual reading material. Now, unfortunately, I do not get to sit at my desk and read the works of pure genius produced by all of our A-List authors. Heart-wrenching to say the least, but rest assured I do have unlimited access to these manuscripts I can devour at home (Can I even tell you the influx of new favorite authors which have crossed into my realm since starting here six months ago!). Much of what I read are proposals from authors with real potential. I wrestle daily with deciding what might have that extra something, which projects I can imagine Deidre, Pamela, or Nephele devouring and passing along with true passion to the oh-mighty editors above.

And then there is the other side of my job which turns into pure comedy. The side of my job that makes me truly question the sanity of many individuals. The side that makes me live in fear that I am walking around and sharing a planet with these “brilliant minds.” As for tonight, I am sure many of you will have questions about the types of works we are most interested in, those things that we can’t wait to get our paws on. As a little teaser, and to offer some help for those of you who just CANNOT wait, I am dishing up here, my own personal ...

TOP FIVE HOT vs. NOT LIST
of ways to become a
KNIGHT AGENCY CLIENT.

5. HOT: Any fiction project filled characters who are involved in really hot, steamy lives with really hot, steamy love interests.
NOT: Any non-fiction project where the author insists to me that they ARE really hot and steamy, so much so that they are my new best friend and can surely alter my “personal life” in ways I only imagined. (Just a little presumptuous I must say!)

4. HOT: Any author who promises to send a vast plethora of goodies to our front door including (but not limited to); Godiva by the pound, Chocolate covered strawberries, or vast amounts of Harry and David specialties.
NOT: Any author who after receiving a first round pass replies with a snarky promise to have their future agent send me an autographed copy of their next best-seller. (Much to my dismay I have been anxiously holding my breath awaiting its arrival!)

3. HOT: Stories rich with originally crafted and high-concept paranormal elements
NOT: Stories where the author claims to be of the paranormal origin, specifically those claiming their story’s synopsis was delivered to them via a box of power, which they unearthed while gardening in the backyard.

2. HOT: Stories where the characters are so richly developed that you feel as though they have become a member of your inner circle of friends and family, where you really care about the events unfolding within their make-believe lives
NOT: Stories told from the point of view of the family indoor/outdoor cat, heroine extraordinaire whose observations about life promise to be genuine, spiritual and highly superior to the mental capacity of humans, (myself included I was informed after another nicely worded pass)

1. HOT: coming to TKA’s Chat tonight at 9pm featuring Submissions Coordinator Elaine Spencer!
NOT: Do we really need to even go there?!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering... are the chats archived, for those of us who can't make it?

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 5:51:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous... Julie, our wonderful chat moderator and host, posts transcripts of the chat within a few days of the event. Just keep checking back to the blog for a link and instructions of how to access the transcript.
Elaine

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 6:56:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed the chat. Kid had a jazz band concert (he plays trombone). He had a solo, and he done good.

I'll try to catch a look at the transcripts when they're up.

Cindy

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 11:13:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home