Friday, May 13, 2005

A Request--Or Shall We Call it Advice?

Querying folks, I have a word of advice. Please don't misunderstand me--this is not meant to sound irritable. But if you have a spam filter on your mailbox and are querying or submitted to agents, please add them to your approved list. Nothing frustrates me more than the following, most especially when I'm writing to request more material while working my way through more than 100 queries.

WHAT I GET IN RESPONSE TO MY OUTBOUND EMAIL...AN EXAMPLE:

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

I just think this is basic wisdom. You're trying to get a reply on a submission, be sure that you either disengage this spam blocker, or simply add the agent or editor to your approved list. I've been meaning to mention this for some time. I thought I would do so tonight.

:)
Deidre

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 4:00:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes sense to me :)

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 4:03:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man. Can you imagine how mortified half those people are, because they didn't even think of it?

And you were much nicer than I would have been. I would be calling them all idiots and rejecting them just on principle.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 1:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Deidre Knight said...

I'm really not trying to sound like a DIVA either. :) It's just that there is a lot to process in my job and something about that extra little thing, well it just doesn't make much sense. It seems like lack of wisdom to me, and that they should know how annoying it is when you're in the agent's shoes. :) Deidre

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 4:25:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Receiving one email that made me jump through hoops was bad enough for me. I do not even want to contemplate having to go through over 100.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 6:46:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, now I'm worried!
My ISP is ntlworld, and a couple of weeks ago, they decided to put a spam filter on their service without telling the customers.
It's caused havoc with my email, and I've almost entirely gone over to my yahoo and gmail addresses, making sure the spam filters are turned off, of course!
Why do they do this?

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 8:16:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home