Thursday, November 03, 2005

Tamera Answers a Few Questions...


To get those curious minds primed for tonight, below Tamera Alexander answers a few questions:

1. What are you reading now?
All She Ever Wanted by Lynn Austin

Recently?
A Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist

2. Favorite book of all time?
A Voice in the Wind, Bk 1 in the 3-part Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. The entire series is remarkable!

Why?
Having read each of those books at least three times, I’d say that the characters are what keep bringing me back. That and the historical accuracy of the writing. You truly feel as though you’ve visited first century Rome and Ephesus after reading these novels. And just when you think the character’s struggles can’t get worse, they do! Hadassah, Marcus, and the rest face unimaginable choices that stretch their faith in Christ to the limit, and give amazing hope to current day readers.

3. Full time author? (if yes, what did you do before as a career? If no, how do you balance the two?)
Yes. I officially quit my full time job about a year ago. But for years, I worked during the day and wrote at night, balancing family and ministry and life, like everyone else. My background is in business. I coordinated corporate conferences, worked in data management (exciting times!), and most recently worked at a local university in the Professional Psychology Division. Talk about fodder for characters!

4. Advice for aspiring writers?
Don’t take rejection personally. Yeah right! But seriously, rejection is part of this business and I’ve got a drawer full of them to prove it. Try to look at your work with fresh eyes and process the suggestions and (sometimes very painful) criticisms that the editor offered. I guarantee you they didn’t mean those comments personally. Chances are they don’t even know you! So sift through their comments, see what good there is, take what you can learn from, and then chunk the rest. And then go write!

5. Of the characters you have created, who would you like to have lunch with? Why?
I’d choose Larson Jennings. Any man who will stand in front of his wife and ask her to teach him how to love her like she deserves to be loved…. Well, I’m there! The journey his character took me on, what I learned through his eyes about forgiveness and trust in marriage are lessons I’ll carry with me for a long time. Umm.. yeah! Sign me up!

A note about the website: Sadly, the designer is a bit behind, so the website is not live yet. Rest assured that we will let you know the moment that it is up and running though! Look forward to seeing you at the chat tonight!
(Remember... tonight, Nov. 3rd from 9-10PM EST)

7 Comments:

Blogger Bernita said...

Re: rejections.
The assumption is often made that writers take these rejections as a personal attack on them and their "baby".
This isn't always the case. What they may take it as is proof of failure, of worthlessness. That they did not measure up, that they failed to produce a tale viable, publishable.They fear they have been engaging in a protracted exercise in self-delusion.
This is a very different thing and includes no animus toward the agent or editor who turns their work down, but considerable breast-beating out in the boonies.

Thursday, November 3, 2005 at 10:32:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That they did not measure up" is taking it personally. It's not "them". It's the book.

And yes, some writers do see rejections as written proof of personal failure. And some see it as agents and editors exercising sadistic glee.

Either way, they should cut it out and write something/send to someone new.

Thursday, November 3, 2005 at 1:36:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it helps that I'm an engineer in the auto industry and an MBA. I understand business. Agents and editors do what they do to make a profit. True, they may happen to love the craft as well, but they gotta eat. It's a challenge for me to prove to them that I can make them a profit. It's a tough business, and if you don't thicken your skin a bit, you'll fall out with the other 99.999% of beginners who quit after a few rejections. After almost 40 years on this planet and much of that in the auto industry, I know nothing worth having comes easy.

Thursday, November 3, 2005 at 2:48:00 PM EST  
Blogger Bernita said...

Entirely true, Ron.
And I would suggest that the writer who recognizes that he has failed first go (or second, etc.) is the one most likely to work to improve rather than use the excuse of a cruel and uncaring industry.

Thursday, November 3, 2005 at 7:16:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tamera Alexander said...

Bernita and all,
I agree. Although I know some authors look at their books as "babies," and I get the comparison, I've had the tendency to look at rejections as failures of "me," like you said. And even though I don't like rejections, and will most certainly have them in my future (just because you've pubbed once doesn't mean you're immune), I'm come closer to the point of looking at them as learning experiences, a step closer to knowing where my manscript *might* find a home (since it's definitely not going to the editor who just rejected it, LOL!) To me, every no along the way is really part of God's final "yes" once His timing is reached. It's just that sometimes His timing feels a bit slower than mine.:)
Tammy

Thursday, November 3, 2005 at 7:59:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is this ?chat thingie? and where?

Thursday, November 3, 2005 at 8:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate rejections, but realize this is part of the business I've chosen to be in. If I have to be rejected, I like getting the personal ones...I've come a way from the form letter ones, and it DOES make a difference.

Friday, November 4, 2005 at 6:54:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home