Sunday, December 18, 2005

PUBLISHING SURVIVOR, DAY 5

Tuesday, December 13
AKA Black Tuesday

My Black Tuesday wasn't as catastrophic as the October 1929 version. But for me, it was bad.

I kept wondering if it was really Tuesday the 13th, rather than Friday the 13th? We've all had those days where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Today was just my unlucky day. I'm thankful that no one in my family came to any harm. There was no blood, my house is still standing, my car still runs, the computer didn't crash, etc. Other than that, all bets were off.

It was open season on my ability to write, get ahead and make progress.

Bad hair day meant I was late for work. The killer project at work meant I worked through my lunch. I battled a headache all day long. A stressful reorganization meeting at work just meant there were more answers than questions. Then at the end of the day, there was more work to do on the project than we originally thought, which means tomorrow is shaping up for more corporate fun. To top it off, I received a draft of my next cover...which wasn't what I'd hoped for. This is doubly disappointing because covers are my favorite part of the process and this wasn't as sexy as I'd hoped for. By the time I got home, it was dark and cold and I wasn't in a good mood. Hubby was late getting home. The cat had destroyed half the Christmas tree in our absence.

By 6 p.m., I was totally ready for the day to be over. I was in no mood to do anything productive, so I decided to give myself a break on writing for today. I spent the evening stressing about everything that had gone wrong and could still go even more wrong, emailing friends and agent. Hubby gave up consoling me. I can argue mayhem and worst-case-scenarios better than most anyone. He knows now that I just have to have time to get over it.

So, I didn't accomplish any of my goals. No reward for me. I'd rather not say more about this day. I just want it to end. Off to lick my wounds and hope tomorrow is better.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This time of the year can be so stressful.

Tomorrow will be a better day, Scarlett.

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 9:02:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jaci Burton said...

ugh. hate when it all falls apart at once, Shelley.

I feel your pain and hope tomorrow is better.

Hugs

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 9:27:00 AM EST  
Blogger Shayla Black said...

Thanks for the support. You guys are great! I'm pushing ahead...

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 10:27:00 PM EST  
Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Because "pushing ahead" is an author's only real choice. Shelley, I'm so proud of you!:)

For anyone who hasn't already ordered BOUND AND DETERMINED, you should absolutely rush to pre-order a copy now. It's an AMAZING (!!!) book!! I can't recommend it highly enough. I'm a big Shelley Bradley fan from long back, and this is her best book to date.
Deidre

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 10:39:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aww, you're doing great, Shelley! It's that time of year.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 11:41:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home