Wednesday, February 10, 2010

LOVERS ROCK WEEK (Day 3): Hosted by Chris Marie Green

UPDATE: The winner of THE PATH OF RAZORS by Chris Marie Green is Mariska. Please email your physical addy to contests(AT)knightagency.net.
How many of you out there wanted to be Princess Leia?

Was it because of her butt-kickin’ attitude? Because she got to swashbuckle-swing across a Death Star chasm with Luke Skywalker? Or perhaps you spent hours in front of the mirror trying to get your hair in those buns?

Nah. It was totally because she ended up with Han Solo, wasn’t it?

And that’s why I’m dedicating this Valentine’s Blog to a couple whom I consider to be one of the most romantic in existence—Han Solo and the Princess.

They had a rough start. She yelled at him a lot. She called his co-pilot a walking carpet. She even insulted Han’s spaceship (and you just don’t do that to a man). She blew a hole in the Death Star cellblock corridor just inches away from his goodies and told him to hop into the garbage chute.

And he damn if he didn’t like every minute of it.

Yeah, she shared a gross little kiss with Luke before she knew he was her brother. (Thank you, Star Wars, for warping my childhood with this and Luke’s sliced-off, castrated hand. But that would be a different blog entry.) Heck, I even started off adoring Luke Skywalker, too, with his non-threatening surfer dude amble and golly-willickers outlook, before The Empire Strikes Back came out and something went “twing” in my body. We all go from boys to more dangerous men at some point in our lives, and although I suspect Leia never did hold any lust for the Skywalker, she’s no different.

Like us, she couldn’t say no to the sparks—the scoundrel grin and low-riding holster.

I guess I love Han and Leia because, when she dished it out to him, it was because she didn’t know how the heck to deal with her feelings. When he gave it right back, it was because he wanted to get her to admit to her emotions. It was a game to him at first, and he didn’t even know what to do when he was confronted with how he felt about her. When she blurted out her love to him while he sank into the carbonite pit in Cloud City, all he could do was be a smart ass. (Oh, those immortal words of affection: “I love you.” “I know.”)



But no matter how many barbs were traded, you always knew that they had unflinching respect for each other, and that only grew scene by scene. Why else would Leia have been so disappointed in Han when he left the rebel base to take his bounty money to Jabba the Hutt just before the big Death Star attack? She knew he’d be an asset. (She also thought he was unbearably hot, but that’s beside the point I’m trying to make here.)

Their relationship is certainly a model for a lot of stories that we read, watch, and love today—especially in paranormals and action-adventure. Look at how Buffy and Angel worked together,
wiping floors with vamp blood. Vaughn and Sydney put the bad guys away on ALIAS as they spied their way around the globe. These characters weren’t just in love—they were partners in every way, solving problems, saving the world, knowing that when the chips are down, both were capable of taking up each others’ backs.

Also, the heroes always seem to depend upon the heroines in a way that goes beyond warming the bed or heart. The heroes will send the heroines on the most dangerous of missions because they’re as good as any man, although the heroines always give the heroes more than any mere war buddy. My own urban fantasies definitely have that “Han and the Princess” dynamic, too. From Camille and Sarg in my first vampire book, The Huntress, to Dawn and The Voice in my Vampire Babylon series, there are many I-love-you-I-know beats.

May the Force be with you on this Valentine’s Day! Oh, and if you’d also like to spend some time with a giveaway, I’ll send a signed copy of THE PATH OF RAZORS, Vampire Babylon, Book Five, to one person who leaves a comment here. The winner will be randomly drawn and announced tomorrow afternoon.

Chris writes urban fantasy as Chris Marie Green and romance as Crystal Green.

BREAK OF DAWN, Book Three in her Vampire Babylon series, has just been reissued in mass market format and book six, DEEP IN THE WOODS, is hitting shelves March 2. To learn more, you can go a number of places—www.crystal-green.com, www.vampirebabylon.com, Chris’s blog, Facebook or Twitter at http://twitter.com/ChrisMarieGreen.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

32 Comments:

Blogger INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

Dude, I was always jealous of Princes Leia as a kid. And the buns? Let's just say they always fascinated me, but I wouldn't have them in my hair. ;D

I always love to see how the complexities in a relationship pan out (or in some cases ignite ;)) and adore how the heroes depend on their heroines. When done right, it can make my heart melt. ;)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:29:00 AM EST  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

Hi Chris. Great post about Princess Leia and Han Solo's relationship. Their relationship made the movies so much better.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:30:00 AM EST  
Blogger Nephele Tempest said...

I'm right there with you, Chris. I had a friend who thought Leia belonged with Luke (before the obvious revelation, of course), but I always thought he was a whiner. Han and Leia were definitely my couple of choice when I was a kid.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:43:00 AM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

Hey, you all!

INCiDeNT--isn't it something how those buns just gleam in the light? The shininess of them always enthralled me. They rivaled Leia's lip gloss.

Crystal, thanks! One of my favorite romantic moments is "the kiss." There are people out there who say that a kiss in STAR WARS is equal to sex as far as emotional importance goes. I'd have to agree!

Nephele! "But I was going to the Toshi station to pick up some POwer converterrrrrrrs." Fave whine line ever!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:52:00 AM EST  
Blogger Amelie Markik said...

I was Leia for Halloween one year - the buns kept falling down, and MAN were they heavy!

My fav couple right now is Booth and Bones on the Bones tv series. I love the mutual respect and the fact that she doesn't follow any kind of religion or believe in anything but science - what she can touch and see with her own eyes, but she has faith in him. I LOVE those two.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:01:00 AM EST  
Blogger Amelie Markik said...

I was Leia for Halloween one year - the buns kept falling down, and MAN were they heavy!

My fav couple right now is Booth and Bones on the Bones tv series. I love the mutual respect and the fact that she doesn't follow any kind of religion or believe in anything but science - what she can touch and see with her own eyes, but she has faith in him. I LOVE those two.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:01:00 AM EST  
Blogger INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

Crystal - The shininess is a definite rival! ... But the size of them made me wonder how heavy they were. (Thanks Amelie for that info! ;)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:31:00 AM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

Hi!

Amelie, I keep saying I'm going to start watching BONES. I can't believe I don't! I love David B.

INCiDeNT, they must've had some major pinning going on with those buns. I've seen buns with a headband to keep them in place, but that's just not right.
Free the buns!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:43:00 AM EST  
Blogger Kirsten said...

You know I've never watched StarWars so I didn't know it held a love story. What rock have I been living under... But I do love Buffy and secretly hoped she and Spike would get together at the end. He always was so much more interesting than Angel. The Bad boy thing, I know.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:49:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Chris :)
Thank you for the great post.
And thank you also for the opportunity to win a SIGNED copy!
All the best,
RKCharron

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:51:00 AM EST  
Blogger tetewa said...

Enjoyed the interview and I'd like to be included! Enjoy your reads! tWarner419@aol.com

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:56:00 AM EST  
Blogger INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

Crystal - Careful, you might start a riot. The pinning idea just makes me want to utter "Ouch." I don't think my head would be able to cope with the stress!
*Echoes "Free the buns!"* I just had to add that in there too. ;)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger Taymalin said...

I never watched Star Wars until I was in my twenties (sad, ain't it? I almost didn't watch them because I saw episodes 1-3 first). Leia and Han's relationship really made the movies for me.

I love romances where the characters challenge each other. It's definitely a relationship dynamic that I try to use in my own writing.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:11:00 PM EST  
Blogger deanna said...

Hi Chris,
wonderful Blog....can we all say Yummmmmmy Hans Solo...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

Kirsten--oh, how I envy the first-time STAR WARS watcher! (If you watch HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, you know exactly what I'm talking about!)

RK! Awesome! Fantastic to see you here. : )

Tetewa, thank you! ;)

INCIDeNT, I sense a bumper sticker in the works....

Taymalin, welcome! No shame in discovering STAR WARS in your twenties. Truthfully, if I'd seen episodes 1-3 first, I wouldn't have been as enthralled. A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are seriously a couple of the best movies ever made. I can find no faults with EMPIRE (except for the ucky bro/sis kiss, LOL).

Deanna, thank you, too! I remember being at a high school slumber party/STAR WARS marathon and we were all glaze-eyed because of Han. (And, yes, I had a geeky group of friends--they were and still are the best!)

BTW, my second place lovers that rock? Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese. He traveled through time for her. Sigh.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:21:00 PM EST  
Blogger donnas said...

Great post. Their scenes together and the verbal sparing were some of my favorite in the movies.

Thabks!
bacchus76 at myself dot com

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:25:00 PM EST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Supposedly, Harrison Ford improvised that "I know" line. The script called for some mushy "I'll always love you, too" type response. Ford knew Han would never say that. Then, of course, in Jedi, they reverse it which always makes me laugh while warming my heart.

BTW - I've watched the prequels several times. Anakin's a dweeb, but I've enjoyed analyzing the political story of how the emperor manipulates his way into ultimate power. Lucas did that part well.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

Crystal, nah; I'll chill. Promise.

LOVE those two! & the movie too. Love and dedication or what? I even went out and bought the recent series of the 'Sarah Conner Chronicles.'

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 12:54:00 PM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

Thanks, donnas! I especially love the "No reward is worth this," comment by Han. That was back when Harrison was fun-cranky rather than for-real cranky. ; )

Wendy--ITA on the episode 1-3 political plot! It fit in with the STAR WARS mythology while being relevant, but not in a hit-you-over-the-head way....

LOL, INCiDeNT--I was sad when they cancelled THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. Just as they were really getting the show rolling, too.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 1:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger LSUReader said...

You are so right about Leia and Han. I love the ("I love you." "I know.") quote you used. Do you remember in "A New Hope" when they (with Chewbacca) are about to be captured by Storm Troopers and Leia grabs a gun, shoots a hole in the wall and orders Han, "Into the garbage shoot, fly boy." The look he gives her (before toppling into the garbage) is great. Fun column--thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 2:16:00 PM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

Hey, LSUReader--"Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her!"

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 3:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger Karin said...

Very interesting choice. Leia and Han really do make an awesome couple who kicked some serious butt together. Like you said, their relationship is a great model for partners who take on the world together.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 4:47:00 PM EST  
Blogger elaing8 said...

Great post.
I never wanted to be Princes Leia.I actually don't really like the movies.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 6:28:00 PM EST  
Blogger Linda Henderson said...

I've always liked those movies. Although I never wanted her hair, I did envy her Han. Some of my favorite heroines are right beside their heroes helping them save the day.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:37:00 PM EST  
Blogger mariska said...

i saw the movies when i was a kid, but not anymore. I remembered that i love the love story of them :)

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 1:33:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jessica said...

I dressed as Princess Leia (in the slave costume) for Halloween this year in New Orleans--it was a big hit. It's amazing how many guys have a fetish for that outfit (and how many argued about the hair with me--the slave costume hair is a high braid with gold combs, not buns).

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 2:40:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

What's great about Leia and Han is that it took time for the relationship to grow. They didn't throw it at us in the first movie, no, they made us wait. Now I loved Angel and Buffy, of course, but I adored Angel and Spike for this very reason, that it took 7 years for that relationship to grow. And it changed Spike as a human being (even if he was a vampire). The earmark of a great relationship.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 8:14:00 AM EST  
Blogger angela robbins said...

I had it bad for Han Solo, too. He was the perfect smart ass, totally hot, and sometimes a flawed hero. I mean it doesn't get any better than that!
I also like Indiana Jones. Indy and Marion had the same type of Han/Leia relationship filled with humor, banter, sarcasm and fighting which all boiled up into a hot connection. Indy had some flaws, too, like his fear of snakes.
Gee, both these star Harrison Ford. I wonder if it was a Harrison Ford thing, or just what he brought to good characters?
-Angie

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 10:53:00 AM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

Karin, elain, Linda, Mariska--thanks, and it's great to see you!

Jessica, LOL--that's awesome! And you're allowed to mix hairstyles with the outfits. I'm sure Leia did that on occasion. : ) And I'm sure you had every guy in the French Quarter trailing after you. I need to try the slave costume sometime.... ;)

Jasmine, you're right about how things built between those couples. It's much, much more rewarding that way. I think the audience feels a lot more invested!

Angie--oh, how I loved (LOVE) Indy, too. I'd say, on his own, he even trumps Han Solo for me. But both characters had the Harrison Ford world-weary, "laconic" trademark, didn't they? Sigh.

Thanks for playing, everyone! I'll be getting the book out to whomever wins on Monday! And there'll be more book giveaways on March 2 on the Knight site!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 12:14:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

hans solo,, whew he was hotttttttt

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 10:31:00 PM EST  
Blogger Cynnara Tregarth said...

Okay, I liked Han, but I LOVED Luke. I admit it. To me, he was the hot one that I wanted to be with in the end and soothe that Jedi Knight's brow. *sigh*

But I admit, Han and Leia's relationship was something I enjoyed a lot. I didn't envy Leia the costumes-- nope not in the least. But I did want to be the kick ass princess that she was. But I also wanted to have that kind of romance- the kind that you were strong and he was too and it was good because it wasn't where you had to be weaker than him just to be together. It was a relationship that I felt was worthy of someone like me.

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 8:52:00 PM EST  
Blogger Chris Marie Green/Crystal Green said...

blackroze, LOL!

Cynnara, I well said here. "But I also wanted to have that kind of romance- the kind that you were strong and he was too and it was good because it wasn't where you had to be weaker than him just to be together."
: )

Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 10:36:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home