Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Cara Lockwood Recap and Some Helpful Hints

Thank you Cara Lockwood for another successful chat! Last night proved informational and lively even with the few glitches we encountered with our new space. Before getting into the recap... I want to pass along some information concerning SigmaChat and helpful hints in using it. As I compile more solutions and hints, I will create an accessible document (at a cyber location yet to be named) that will include all this helpful information. For right now... here's what I have so far:

Java: In order to access the room, you'll need Java on your computer. I think most everyone should have it, but if you want to check and make sure, you can go to the SigmaChat demo page here: http://www.sigmachat.com/demo.html. If the sample chat room loads, you're good to go. If not, here's a link to download the free Java software

If you are using a Mac: better to use IE than Safari. It doesn't like Safari, and even with IE, I usually have to press "reload" a few times before it decides to like me (according to help pages online, once you have the most recent Java software Safari, Firefox etc... should all work just as easily as IE...but don't write that in stone yet)

Problems logging on last night: Yes, there were issues logging onto the chatroom last night due to a MASSIVE logo. This is not normal and should not happen again. This was merely a set up issue that I encountered and should cause any further problems.

Any other suggestions? Please feel free to email me or leave a post on this entry about further hints for using SigmaChat. Thanks so much for your patience as we set up our new cyberspace! It's getting better all the time!

Now to CARA LOCKWOOD!

As I mentioned earlier, last night proved a very lively chat! As moderator I could barely keep up with the questions and follow up questions. There were simply so many! Here's a quick recap of how things went down:

Quick facts:

She's a pantzer! While it's good to have an outline and an idea of where you are going with characters and a story, Cara prefers to let the muse take her whenever possible and allows her stories to develop often in unexpected ways. Her first novel, I Do (But I Don't) stuck the closest to her original plans.

She writes about 20 pages a day.

Before writing full time (although she still does freelance writing), she was reporter for several newspapers and publications.

How does she know if she's really being funny? Asks her husband. He'll tell her too.

She loves to read other funny writers... David Sedaris is a favorite. (yet, we all questioned how he gets away with writing so candidly about his family)

The movie:

Yes, she loved meeting Dean Cain. How could she not? And, he is just as down to earth in real life as portrayed on his interview.
Overall, she didn't have a lot of input in the final product of the movie, but that was ok because they stayed very close to the book and even more importantly the spirit of the novel.
It only took 4 months to film! It was a phenomenal turn around for film time!
Up Coming Projects:
Out now: Dixieland Sushi. Has lots of flashbacks to the 80's... what's not to love???
YA novel soon! Working title: Wuthering High. She's really enjoyed writing in a slightly new genre about girls in boarding school. And, with a title like that.. how could you pass it up. Very clever!
I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) releases May 2, 2006!
Check out Cara's webpage and blog (a very fun read) for more info! Once again, thank you so much to all who attended and to Cara for another TKA Chats success!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was great fun!

Tuesday, October 4, 2005 at 1:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie Ramsey said...

I hate that people were still having computer issues. The logo one shouldn't cause any more problems though. Please keep me posted on any further problems you find so I can work my magic on this end to give everyone the chance to get involved! I'm so glad you are enjoying our "writers' community" :)

Tuesday, October 4, 2005 at 4:06:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have signed on as well! Cara is my favorite author and I love her blog ( she's hilarious.) My computer crashed, and was fixed today so thank you for the summary!

Wednesday, October 5, 2005 at 5:33:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home