Monday, December 19, 2005

Design: An Eyewitness Report

Each day there are many happenings around the agency that are blogworthy, but unfortunately not all make it to the web. This particular event, however, sprang forth from my mind through my fingers to your screen. Behold...

Imagine if you will, Deidre and I deep in discussion over a year end review and planning events to attack come January. My eyes widen. A giant, no... huge!...(okay quarter-sized) black spider, is creeping over the window above Deidre's unknowing head. Gazing at the lanky spider (at a safe distance), Deidre squints, "Is that a ladybug there?" The evil spider lunges at the innocent, helpless ladybug and begins devouring and working over its new catch. Stunned, Deidre and I observe the heartless laws of nature. After taps were played and a moment of silence spent, Deidre and I open our tear-stained eyes to find the vile insect has disappeared with its prey. To this moment, I am on alert to capture any stalking arachnid at the first scream.

I am reminded of a poem (simply replace "white" with "black", "heal-all" with "window ledge", and "moth" with "cute, little ladybug"):

DESIGN

By Robert Frost

I found a dimpled spider, fat and white,
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of rigid satin cloth--
Assorted characters of death and blight
Mixed ready to begin the morning right,
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth--
A snow-drop spider, a flower like a froth,
And dead wings carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The wayside blue and innocent heal-all?
What brought the kindred spider to that height,
Then steered the white moth thither in the night?
What but design of darkness to appall?--
If design govern in a thing so small.


Happier news to follow...stay tuned

9 Comments:

Blogger Deidre Knight said...

She left out the part where we were squealing, grabbing each other and also shrieking at the same time. It was UGLY. Those vile spindly legs just kept working at the ladybug with speedy, killer efficiency!

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 2:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

I'm sorry, but I think that's awesome. I love spiders, and I love watching them at work. What amazing architects! I think the problem in this equation is "ladybug." If it had been a roach, for example, you'd probably be cheering the spider on!

I watched an anenome eat a fish not so long ago, and had that similar horror/fascination emotion.

It's too bad of the choice of prey, though, because ladybugs are very useful and fascinating creatures as well.

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 3:57:00 PM EST  
Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I, on the other hand, COMPLETELY sympathize with the squealing, grabbing, and shrieking (which I do all by myself when I see a spider). Yick!

I do like watching them web-building...outside. Far away from my house. :-)

Shannon

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 5:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Truly the ladybug factor was a huge element. It was horrifying and it all happened in this kind of slow-mo playback. But I still say it was the creepy, aggressive legwork on the part of the spider that was the most grotesque aspect of all. :)

Monday, December 19, 2005 at 10:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger Isabelle Santiago said...

Moments like these help me to appreciate that I am as large as I am, in comparison to the spider. If I were another bug, I'd be hating my life right now. Oh man, anyone else having *Honey, I Shrunk the Kids* flashbacks?

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 2:50:00 AM EST  
Blogger Marley Gibson said...

I'm with you on the squealing part, too. Poor lady bug. And yes, Diana, had it been a roach, it would have been a different story. Eeek...cringing just thinking of that!

Be on the look out, ladies. We'd hate for you to lose a toe or something to the evil, hungry spider! (Great write-up, Julie!)

= )

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 8:52:00 AM EST  
Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

Marley, just an FYI, knowing how you feel about creepy crawly things -- do NOT, under any circumstances, decide to go to a showing of King Kong. Seriously. Don't.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 10:28:00 AM EST  
Blogger Patrick McNamara said...

I don't mind spiders. They keep the other bugs under control. And around here, the ladybugs are more likely to bite than the spiders.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 11:25:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Since we live in a rural area, we have a lot of creepy things. Hubby and I have a rule...he kills the snakes and I kill the spiders! Of course, with 4 cats, hubby's job is easier than mine!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 11:38:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home