Wednesday, March 08, 2006

*~* !!HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ME!! *~*

Have you ever had one of those days that starts off normal enough, you wake up and head off to work with the thoughts that it is just another day? Well that was me this morning. I woke up (late as usual), scurried out of the house, got into the car and settled in for my daily commute. Well then over my rush-hour coffee something dawned on me. As my mind was wandering here there and everywhere thinking about everything work related I realized that today was a special day for me. (Hopefully, at this point, I have piqued your interest enough that you are asking why I am boring you with this story about my day that sounds just like yours)well . . . drum roll please - Today, March 8 is my Six Month Anniversary of employment with TKA.

Six Months. Amazing. Cliché enough question, but seriously, I can’t help to ask, Where does time go?


While it seems like it was yesterday, (not kidding, I remember the song on the radio when I got out of the car for my interview) at the same time I can’t believe its only been six months. I guess I should elaborate on that comment. Six months ago I walked into a job that didn’t really exist. I was going to come in a few days a week to do some random jobs, basically just alleviate some of the more menial items from Deidre’s task list. From every impression I’ve gathered, when Judson hired me, I don’t think Deidre even realized she could use more help (for those of you that know her though, that’s D for you, carrying the world on her shoulders!)

So in the past six months life has undergone many major changes. Where do I even begin? Within this time I have become a key part of many of TKA’s operations. I have become a part of a company, of a team, and of a group of individuals who have become more than just co-workers, but friends.

Beyond that, I have fallen in love with this group of writers (also known as our clients) who I had no previous exposure to. And even though at this moment I have met only the smallest handful face-to-face, I feel like many of these lovely ladies and gents’ are also now my friends. I’ve grown to adore our writers, and am impressed daily by their wit and charm, as we gossip about the industry and their current projects.

Speaking of gossip, I have become addicted to industry-blogs. Talk about distraction. I seriously could spend hours a day catching up on all the little tidbits going around within different industry circles. (Don’t worry Deidre I practice self-restraint, I promise!) I’ve justified this part of my day as research, but wow, who knew research could be so entertaining!

I have learned to read. I mean really READ. Imagine being exposed to hundreds of writers a week, all with their own style and flair. No longer can I just pick up a book and see where it goes. While at times reading these samples of work can be the most difficult type of work I have to face at my job, at other times it can be the most relaxing and pleasurable part of my day. Whatever it is, it is not just the casual picking up of a book that so many people imagine when I explain my job to them.

As to that, my job description, I’ve even had to learn how to do that! I have learned that non-industry individuals have no idea that literary agents exist. Julie and I both have this little joke surrounding our professional status, its become a key line- “well you know how actors have agents, yeah, that’s us, except for authors.” It’s become one of those things that if we never had to say again, it would be too soon.

So six months later when I reflect back on my experiences thus-far I realize it hasn’t just been a period of learning the ropes. While I have learned more about publishing and agenting than I could ever fully cover here, I’ve realized most importantly that the next six-months will probably hold just as many opportunities for professional growth. And after the past 182 days, I’ve learned I can’t wait for the next 183!

9 Comments:

Blogger Gina Black said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 10:46:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that is fast. Happy Anniversary!!

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 12:08:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marley Gibson said...

What a great post, Elaine! And thanks for all that you do for us! It's great to know there are so many fantastic people within TKA to take care of us during this 'thing' called writing.

Hugs,
Marley = )

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 1:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Congrats, Elaine! I can't wait to meet all the great TKA employees at next summer's party! Thanks for all you do!
Shannon

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your enthusiasm for your job comes through in your post. Congrats, Elaine!

Cindy

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 6:53:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am very new to blogging. I was still asking what they were a short time ago. The explanation didn't make it any clearer. But yes they are addictive.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 7:35:00 PM EST  
Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Congrats, my dear! You've added so much to our team, not to mention that you've taken even more off my shoulders! Thanks for all your hard work and eagerness to learn!

Keep on posting! I bet everyone would love to hear what a day is like at TKA from your perspective!
Deidre

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 8:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jana Armstrong said...

Happy Anniversary, Elaine!!

I was recently promoted (okay, I asked for the job) within the e-publisher I work for as submissions coordinator. As I finished my first actual day on the job, I said to myself, "I don't know how Elaine does it without pulling out her hair!"

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 9:01:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversay Elaine! Here's to six more months of learning and success. So many people in the world don't get to do what they love for a living...it's great to hear when someone does.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 9:47:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home