Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thirty by Leslie Kelly


In January, 2008, my Blaze release ONE WILD WEDDING NIGHT, will become my thirtieth published work.

Thirty.

The number stuns me, for any number of reasons. Frankly, I haven’t managed to do “thirty” of much in my life. I’ve never lost the thirty pounds I need to lose. I never took thirty college classes so I never finished my degree. I can’t go more than thirty minutes without a Diet Coke. I’ve rarely got thirty bucks in my wallet. Going thirty hours without internet would probably kill me. Unlike a lot of women, I don’t have thirty purses or pairs of shoes. And I haven’t written thirty pages of the book I’m supposed to be delivering in umm…well, never mind that.

I look back at the entire bookshelf filled with my books and I am both gratified and a little sad. There’s a huge sense of accomplishment in seeing the visual results of my efforts. There’s also a disappointment in feeling like the thirty-book-author nobody’s ever heard of.

When I sold my first book in November of 1997, I had starry-eyed dreams. And on that day, if somebody had told me I would have thirty books in print within the next ten years, I would have pictured the bestseller lists, movie deals, feather boas and bon bons.

Uh, not. See that sentence above about the bucks in my wallet.

Still, despite those moments when I sit back and wonder, “Will this be the one, the book that grabs some attention?” I also have to think of another list of thirty: thirty jobs I could be doing that are a whooooole lot worse.

I could definitely come up with thirty for that list. Or fifty. Or one hundred. Piece o’ cake. (Probably starting with truck driver and ending with President of the United States.)

That fact is what keeps me plugging along. That and knowing I’ve really enjoyed writing most of those thirty books. I’ve loved getting to know the people within their pages and have laughed, cried, gasped and fallen in love right along with them. And that’s enough. If it weren’t, odds are nobody would stay in this business, because damn, it’s a tough one.

So you take the pleasures where you can get them…

Thirty good words in a paragraph. Thirty minutes of uninterrupted writing time. Thirty people who show up at a chat. Thirty emails from happy readers. Thirty days before you have to deliver the next book. Thirty “you can do it’s” from your hubby and your kids. Thirty minutes of plotting/bitching/griping/drinking with your writing buddies. Thirty minutes in a bubble bath, reading something wonderful and knowing you were the one who wrote it.

Who knows…maybe thirty more books. And thirty bon bons to go along with them.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After 30 books I'd say you have a fan base! Love your books.

Nancy

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 10:15:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not unknown, I'd say under-appreciated by far. I know when I'm looking for a book on the aisle and I see Leslie Kelly, I know to pick it up. Don't even have to read the back to know I'm gonna love it.

Here's to the next Thirty, Congrats.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 10:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Leslie Kelly said...

Thanks Melinda & Nancy! I really appreciate that!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 10:29:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Darla said...

Congrats...thats quite a milestone! I read Overexposed and really enjoyed it! I've never had a cannoli (hope i spelled it right), but now I'm going to have to try one and maybe get an extra for my DH! BG!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 10:46:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Leslie!!! I think 30 books being published is huge. I buy your books as soon as they hit the shelves and can't wait for the next one. Here is to 30 more and the best sellers list!!!

Liza

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 12:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cher Gorman said...

Leslie, 30 published books is a HUGE accomplishment and definitely something to celebrate. I think you need to throw a party!

For anyone who hasn't read Leslie Kelly's books got to the bookstore NOW! You won't be disappointed.

Leslie Kelly is m'avelous, d'alings, simply ma'velous!

Cher

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 12:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristen Painter said...

How about 30 reasons you should visit Florida? *wink*

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 1:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoey & I love your work.

Thirty..hmmm..seems to me when one hits 30 they think they have reached a plateau. I think you should feel the same way with books. If you keep up the good work I for one will be thrilled.
THAT CANOLLI SCENE WAS TERRIFIC.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 1:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Leslie Kelly said...

Awww, thanks....I'm so glad I could contribute to the increased sale of cannolis...lol!

And Kristin, a trip to Florida sounds wonderful. Especially with all the plans I'm seeing you guys make for the retreat...wah! Wish I could be there!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 1:53:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I agree with what the others have said. I know without a doubt, without ever reading the back cover, that if it's a Leslie Kelly book it's going to be great.

Wishing you another 30 fab books, the New York Times Bestsellers list, and whatever other dreams you have!!!

Thanks for doing what you do!!!
Jodie

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 2:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Patty L. said...

Leslie you are a wonderful writer. I have loved every book that I have picked up with your name on the front cover. Your thirty books are an inspiration to all aspiring authors and readers. Please continue to put out such wonderful stories. We all love them.

BTW Stripped was HOT!!!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 6:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Leslie Kelly said...

Thanks for the nice comments today everyone! And thanks TKA for having me visit!

Please come by Plotmonkeys sometime (for those of you who haven't!) It's a fun group blog with me, Carly Phillips, Janelle Denison and Julie Elizbeth Leto.
www.plotmonkeys.com

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 9:13:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello Leslie

see u are not alone. Love your books .
Kim h

Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 12:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Cole Reising said...

Leslie, I love your point! Great job!

Cole

Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 12:06:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie, I've never read your books (hanging head in shame) but rest assured I will now. Your blog went straight to my heart - and funnybone. Congratulations on your first thirty, and kudos for your NEXT thirty.

Monday, September 24, 2007 at 1:27:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home