Friday, August 26, 2005

GREAT CHAT!

Last night was fantastic! Thank you to Beverly Brandt for being a terrific launch guest for the TKA chats. Also, thanks to everyone for attending and asking such interesting, intelligent questions. We are all jealous of your turn around time, Beverly!

Some things I learned:

To keep and build a good relationship with your agent you need to communicate often but also know when to hold back. For instance, let your agent know what you are working on and keep in touch but don’t email every idea that pops into your head.

Most people cannot edit their manuscripts in one week like Beverly.

Having a good agent is pivotal for understanding all the ins and outs of the contracts and getting the best deal but all the more important when things aren’t going so well.

If you’re unagented and get “the call” from an editor, be sure to tell them you will be getting an agent to talk to them. NEVER say (if you’re unagented), “that sounds good…” Instead, reply: “I’m getting an agent, and we’ll be back with you very shortly.” Otherwise, you’ll have a contract in your hands before you know it.

I work for a wonderful group of intelligent and fun people and am so excited that I get to learn so much everyday.

Round Two:

Keep your calendar clear for Sunday 9-10 PM EDT. TKA chats will star Bantam Dell editor Kerri Buckley to field your questions and concerns. For the next round, we hope to have a way to keep a transcript of the conversation, but it may not happen until we find a new home for out chats. Suggestions anyone?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

I am absolutely astounded by Beverly's ability to edit a book in a week. And envious... I'm very envious of that ability!

Friday, August 26, 2005 at 4:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jana Armstrong said...

It was a great chat; very, very informative.

I believe Marley Gibson suggested SigmaChats. I'm not familiar with them but may MG will pop in with a comment.

And chat transcripts would be great!!

Friday, August 26, 2005 at 9:11:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chat was fun and informative. Beverly is a powerhouse writer with a lot of good advice.:)

I was on a Yahoo Chat link last week with 2 other people. 2 of us kept getting kicked off. We finally switched to IM conference, which worked great. But you have to invite people, versus them stopping in, so it's probably not a format you'd want to use.

Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 12:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger moonhart said...

I tried to get in but couldn't. So I don't know what the problem is.

Sigh.

I want to be at the next one!

terri

Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 8:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I use Sigmachat, too. There are occasional bumps (all chat rooms have them, and might have as much to do with individuals computers and/or ISPs as with the chat software itself) but MUCH less often than Yahoo chat. My former chapter used to use Sigmachat for formal chats that got a lot of people in them, and the problems were minimal.

You can add the HTML to your web site and host the chat right from there, i.e. http://www.nataliedamschroder.com/chat.htm

Check out sigmachat here:
http://www.sigmachat.com/index.html

Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 7:56:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone who was able to attend the chat. I thought it was fun despite the getting kicked off part!

And I hope no one came away with the impression that writing is easy for me, because it is most assuredly NOT. The only reason I'm able to be as productive as I am is because I have a very low-maintenance life: no children, a cat, and a hubby who cooks and cleans and travels a lot.

That one week of editing is 10 a.m.-8 p.m. without any breaks. There are lots of weeks that I don't even leave my house. I am investing a LOT of time into making my writing career a success, so please don't think I'm just sitting here humming "la la la" while the words trip easily from my fingertips. That is definitely not the case!

Sunday, August 28, 2005 at 11:01:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home