Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mood music

This will be brief as I haven't quite made my morning word count, but I DID notice something. I wanted to make a scene mysterious, slightly threatening, and though it wasn't coming out exactly right, it was close enough that I knew I could revise some in the future and it would work.

Then a cheerful bouncy piece in my randomly set music hit and before I knew it, I'd lost the atmosphere. Sigh.

Moral of the story, don't put your stuff on random if you really want to evoke a certain mood. I went back and deleted a few lines, and now have GHOSTS by Llewellyn playing. I've got plenty of eerie music, I just have to set it up right.

Back to the writing.
May you nail your mood today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Painter said...

I can totally relate to this. I've been playing a lot of up-tempo, dance music lately but it doesn't work for layering in sexual tension.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 at 5:59:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lisa Asanuma said...

This happened to me just the other day, only with different mood themes.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 6:54:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found (though my experience might be unique) that Nick Drake is the best music for any mood except 'happy'.
For 'happy', or any of its variants, I like old garage rock compilations.
I think the most important part of mood music is keeping it low, and making sure it's something you know very well so it can't mess with you. If it demands any attention, it's not doing its job.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 6:32:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home